Tuesday, February 12, 2019

It Does Happen

Psychology is not an exacting science, when dealing with the human mind there are many complex issues and we have to realize that there are going to be few who were misdiagnosed. There will be very few trans people who detransition.
Hormones, surgery, regret: I was a transgender woman for 8 years — time I can't get back
USA Today
By Walt Heyer, Opinion contributor
February 11, 2019

At first I was giddy for the fresh start. But hormones and sex change genital surgery couldn't solve the underlying issues driving my gender dysphoria.

I started my transgender journey as a 4-year-old boy when my grandmother repeatedly, over several years, cross-dressed me in a full-length purple dress she made especially for me and told me how pretty I was as a girl. This planted the seed of gender confusion and led to my transitioning at age 42 to transgender female.
There are going to be those who detransition what we have to do is learn from them, why did it happen, what did we miss?
Studies show that most people who want to live as the opposite sex have other psychological issues, such as depression or anxiety. In my case, I was diagnosed at age 40 with gender dysphoria and at age 50 with psychological issues due to childhood trauma.
Well what we do know is that when we are denying the fact that we are trans that causes depression and/or anxiety and most of the time the comorbidity of anxiety and depression disappear once we transition. We do know that people detransition for many reasons such as social pressure, employment problems, family problems, and religious problems and for some they realize that they are not trans after all. That is one of the reasons for living in your true gender before taking irreversible procedures.
Eventually, I met a wonderful woman who didn’t care about the changes to my body, and we’ve been married for 21 years. Now we help others whose lives have been derailed by sex change. Measured by the human benefit to a hurting population, it’s a priceless way to spend our time.
[…]
You will hear the media say, “Regret is rare.” But they are not reading my inbox, which is full of messages from transgender individuals who want the life and body back that was taken from them by cross-sex hormones, surgery and living under a new identity.

After de-transitioning, I know the truth: Hormones and surgery may alter appearances, but nothing changes the immutable fact of your sex.
It is rare but it does happen and as I said we need to learn why it fails in a few people and work to better understand the why?

And I have to agree with his last statement “…but nothing changes the immutable fact of your sex.” and for trans people we know who we are, we know our true gender and it isn’t that they assigned us at our birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment