Friday, July 20, 2018

It Is Starting!

Trump’s hate is spreading to pharmacies.

A pharmacist refused to fill a trans woman’s prescription for hormones and took her prescription.
My Pharmacist Humiliated Me When He Refused to Fill My Hormone Prescription
ACLU
By Hilde Hall
July 19, 2018

That’s when my day took a turn. After years of working to affirm my identity in a world where transgender people are questioned constantly about how well they know themselves, the pharmacist refused to fill one of the prescriptions needed to affirm my identity.

He did not give me a clear reason for the refusal. He just kept asking, loudly and in front of other CVS staff and customers, why I was given the prescriptions.

Embarrassed and distressed, I nearly started crying in the middle of the store. I didn’t want to answer why I had been prescribed this hormone therapy combination by my doctor. I felt like the pharmacist was trying to out me as transgender in front of strangers. I just froze and worked on holding back the tears.
The pharmacist took her prescription and wouldn’t give it back to her and when her doctor called the pharmacist stood his ground and wouldn’t fill the prescription or give back the prescription.
Today, I filed a complaint with the Arizona State Board of Pharmacy and am publicly asking CVS to take action and apologize for the way I was treated. CVS has received perfect marks for the past four years in the Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index, which is a valuable tool for assessing corporate policies and practices pertinent to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees. But something is still not right. Measures should be in place to ensure no other customer is humiliated like I was.
I have had a minor problem with CVS, one of the women behind the pharmacy counter kept calling me “Sir” with a smile a couple of times and I corrected her, the last time she did it and I corrected her I noticed the pharmacist look up. That was the last time that I saw her.

I don’t have any choice, I have to go to CVS because they are the only pharmacy my insurance recognizes otherwise I will have to mail order my meds and I refuse to do that because of a bad medical experience with mail order.

No comments:

Post a Comment