Friday, October 04, 2013

Can A Leopard Change Its Spots? (Part 2)

Can someone who used derogatory language about trans-people and gays and lesbian in their lyrics say that they only used it to sell records and they are not transphoblic or homophobic?

Rapper 50 Cents did.
50 Cent Insists He Is Not Homophobic, Offers Support To Transgender Teen In New Series
The Huffington Post
By Cavan Sieczkowski
Posted: 10/03/2013

Curtis Jackson, better known as 50 Cent, might have made some inflammatory comments against the lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual community in the past, but the rapper insists he is not a homophobe.
[…]
“I don’t have homophobia. I never did,” Fifty told TheWrap, despite the fact that he has used the term "faggot" in song lyrics. “I would use the terminology that would be going around. My grandfather may say terms -- people may actually say terms based on their experiences that were happening at that point. ... You’ve got people that would call some people a redneck, or some people n-----. It’s the term of that time or that period. They’re not necessarily racist, but they’ve heard those terms used around them, and they use them.”
I think there is a big difference between what 50 Cent said "If you a man and your over 25 and you don't eat pu--y just kill your self damn it.” is very different from what Gloria Steinem said “If the shoe doesn’t fit, must we change the foot?” I just don’t buy into that he isn’t transphoblic or homophobic, those were some pretty strong words, telling a person to commit suicide if they’re gay and telling it is all right to beat up on trans-people. Condoning violence and rape is never okay. He claims that it is the culture of the street but he promoted that culture for money and has caused harm to many kids.

In an interview for Playboy he said…
"I ain't into f----ts. I don't like gay people around me, because I'm not comfortable with what their thoughts are. I'm not prejudiced. I just don't go with gay people and kick it--we don't have that much in common. I'd rather hang out with a straight dude. But women who like women, that's cool."
He might consider himself not homophobic but his words prove otherwise.

I believe that a leopard can change their spots. Rapper 50 Cent has a lot to atone for and it will take a lot more than a television show to prove to me that he has changed to a new leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment