Tuesday, October 01, 2013

OK, Today I Join The Ranks Of Millions…

Today I start on Medicare. I started off on a rocky footing, I started my paperwork late because I missed the information the government set me… it got buried in the ton of ads that I received for the last six months. You see when start getting close to age that you go on Medicare the ads you get all, look like official Medicare letters. After I opened the first two dozen or so ads they started going into the circular file, so I missed the one official letter that told me how to register for Medical. As a results I was somewhat late in filing my paperwork, so for today’s doctor’s appointment I don’t have my Medicare card… it’s in the mail which probably according to Murphy will arrive in today’s mail, two hours after my doctor’s appointment.

The one good thing that I liked when I was registering for “Medicare Advantage” was when they asked me, “What is the gender on your Social Security card?” YES! I changed my gender on Social Security card this spring thanks to President Obama’s new rules for changing your gender.

Speaking of President Obama, today is the start of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act or Obamacare. Here is an interesting video on healthcare…



One thing that he said stood out for me was what he said about how those with insurance are paying for healthcare for those who do not have insurance. You got that? Our premiums are higher because of those without insurance. Families USA said in a report that,
To make up for this uncompensated care, the costs were shifted to insurers in the form of higher charges for health services. These higher charges are then passed on to families and businesses as higher premiums. The impact of this hidden health tax on annual premiums for families and individuals in 2008 was as follows:

  •     For family health care coverage, the hidden health tax was $1,017.
  •     For health coverage provided to single individuals, the hidden health tax was $368.
So I am paying for you healthcare, because you do not have insurance you are costing me one month's insurance premium. Do you think that is fair?

Connecticut has one of the highest Affordable Care insurance rates in the country the premiums are around $300 a month. All the headlines in the papers around here point out how high the Obamacare rates are here compared to the rest of the country, but what they don’t mention is that we already have some of the highest rates in the country which run around $500 to a $1000 a month for individual private insurance.

Why are the Republicans fighting Obamacare so hard? I was paying around $300 a month for my insurance through my former employer and they were paying another $300 a month for their share. Under Obamacare my premium would be only $257 for the Silver plan which has about the same coverage as when I had company insurance. So maybe the Republicans are afraid that once we see the full effect of Obamacare we will realize that what we're paying is a lot cheaper than what we were paying.

2 comments:

  1. I, too, have come the conclusion that the Republicans are afraid that we will like the ACA once we realize what it is all about. It's really rather pathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've commented on this in my blog. And I am very ashamed to have a congress that puts its political needs over the needs of the public. Hopefully, this will be over soon....

    ReplyDelete