Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Year In Review

Well this is the obligatory New Year’s year end highlights.

 This year did not start out good at all; I learned that I had Type 2 Diabetes. However, I am off of all diabetes medication and I have my blood glucose under control by diet and exercise. But it is still a constant battle to keep it under control. I feel 100% better than I felt at the start of the year.

I went out to Long Island in July to visit a couple that I know and we went out to Fair Harbor on Fire Island for a party. It was the first time that I have ever been to Fire Island and it is a beautiful spot. The couple I know has a friend who is a doctor and for two weeks is the Fire Island doctor which in return he gets free rent. So each year they have a party out there and my friends invited me to go with them out to the barrier island. While I was there I got pounded by a wave and I lost my wig, I was starting to panic when a woman found it and returned it to me. Fair Harbor is a beautiful little village that you have to walk or bicycle around the village, unfortunately this fall it village got hit pretty hard by Hurricane Sandy.

In other news I gave a speech at an event for the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunity at the Legislative Office Building in the beginning of August. The all day workshop was for school administrators and teachers on bullying and I was invited to speak on what a school policy on gender identity should cover.

In November I taught two classes when the professor attended a conference and he asked me to teach the class for him at UConn in Storrs. It was the first time that I ever taught a class, I have been on many panels and I also have given workshops before, but I never stood up in front of a class and lectured before. In the first class the students looked bored, but in the other class we actually had a good discussion about the homework assignment.

This fall I also bought a new Prius, it is my third Prius, but this one is a plug-in. That means it will run off of the battery first then the gas motor will start when the battery runs low and also the battery can be charged by plugging it into an outlet. So far I have been averaging around 50 - 55 mpg per tankful! However, one week after I got it, it was hit by a hit-and-run driver. He put a dent in the driver side passenger door and did $2,000 in damages.

For the last half of the summer I was in a relationship with a woman for three months before we broke up, it was great while it lasted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment