Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Thrid Week

This is my third week of interning and I am starting to settle in to the routine. It’s hard getting back into the groove after a year and a half not working, now I have to be somewhere every day at a fixed time. I just can’t do what I want any time that I want any more.

It is also different working in an all women environment (and working as a woman), where I worked before (an engineering company) it was mostly a male environment. The dynamics are so much different, but I think part of that is the nature of the work so it is really hard to separate the cause of that difference; working in a non-profit vs. an engineering company

Yesterday, I went to a meeting in one of the insurance companies here in Hartford to go over some of the projects that I am working on as an intern. The woman that I met is the Director of CTAC and she works for the insurance company; we met in the cafeteria of the company for lunch, right in the heart of corporate America. As I was walking back to my office across the street and I could see the state Capital and all of the city of Hartford, the lyrics of the Grateful Dead song “Trukin’” came to mind, “Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip its been.”

1 comment:

  1. Glad you're settling in. Interesting differences between working in the non-profit and for profit worlds. Also the male/female thing.

    ReplyDelete