Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Birthday Party At Devil’s Hopyard

On Labor Day, I went to a friend’s birthday party at Devil’s Hopyard State Park and when I got home, I found out that I left my camera there. OMG! PANIC CITY! I called her right away as soon as I found out and they had already found it and was wondering whose it was. WHEW! What must have happen was while I was picking up all stuff as I was getting ready to leave the park, a friend who was leaving hugged me and had to put everything back on the picnic table to hug her. It was then I must have forgotten to pick it back up. Then when I was putting everything in my trunk of my car another friend drove by and honked their honk, I turned around and waved, closing the trunk.
Her mother had a surprise party for her, the family normally celebrates her birthday with a picnic there, but her mother invited all her friends to come and join them. I drove down from New Hampshire that morning so that I could join them. There were about seven or eight of her friends and came in an 50’s Studebaker.

I picked up my camera from her last night and here are a couple of the photos that I took…

The first is of the upper falls, in the top right of the picture you can see some of the round kettle potholes, that the park is famous for. The state park web-site says,
“Another tale focuses on the potholes near the falls, which are some of the finest examples of pothole stone formations in this section of the country. Perfectly cylindrical, they range from inches to several feet in diameter and depth. These potholes were formed by stones moved downstream by the current and trapped in an eddy where the stone was spun around and around, wearing a depression in the rock. When the rock wore itself down, another would catch in the same hole and enlarge it. We know this now, but to the early settlers the potholes were a great mystery that they tried to explain with references to the supernatural. They thought that the Devil has passed by the falls, accidentally getting his tail wet. This made him so mad he burned holes in the stones with his hooves as he bounded away.”

The other photograph is of the whole falls looking up from the bottom of falls. I had to crop the picture because half of the photograph was in the shade and the other half in the sun. I wish I had Photoshop CS because I think could had adjusted the sunny side of the photo.
The water coming over the falls was low because we have not had much rainfall in the past couple of weeks, I can just imagine what the falls must be like in the spring.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you got your camera back! The falls are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete