Monday, November 22, 2021

Tonight, Tonight, I Watch Jeopardy


I usually watch Jeopardy but last week I missed a couple of shows, only to find out,
Amy Schneider, a transgender woman, wraps Trans Awareness Week with a 'Jeopardy!' win
USA Today
By Hannah Yasharoff
November 21, 2021


"Jeopardy!" contestant Amy Schneider is heading into Monday's episode with a winning streak, joining the few openly trans winners on the show, and is thanking the trans competitors who came before her.

Schneider, an engineering manager from Oakland, California, became a three-day champion on Friday's episode with $110,200 in winnings after she entered the Final Jeopardy round $25,000 ahead of her competitor and wagered a whopping $15,000.

The Final Jeopardy category: 20th century American authors. Schneider correctly answered that Harper Lee and Truman Capote were the two authors and childhood friends with exhibits at the Old Courthouse Museum in Monroeville, Alabama.
Yes, you read that right she is a member of the tribe.

But as usual when we are involved there is push-back, this time it is about “Naturalized Women.”
She also addressed backlash from viewers who thought it was insensitive for the show to include a category titled "Naturalized Woman," which featured questions about famous women who were not born in the U.S. and later became naturalized citizens. USA TODAY has reached out to "Jeopardy!" representatives for further comment.

"There wasn't actually anything wrong with it, and I had forgotten it entirely until I watched the episode today," Schneider said. "But I think it's clear it landed differently with a trans woman on stage, which is unfortunate."
So anyhow, I will be watching tonight’s show to see how she does.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Update 11/22/21 7:45 PM

She won big tonight!

1 comment:

  1. She is wonderful. Very smart in many different subjects. I cringed when I saw that category "Naturalized Women" and kept my fingers crossed and she got through it beautifully. It did land differently with her on stage. I hope she keeps going and wins a lot of money. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall in many households in this country when news got around that there was a Transgender woman on Jeopardy. I can just hear some of the comments.

    ReplyDelete