Saturday, November 20, 2021

Saturday 9: Somewhere

Sam’s Saturday 9: Somewhere (1983)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Sorry about last week’s Saturday 9, I have company show up unexpectedly.



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is from the hit musical West Side Story. It has just been remade by Steven Speilberg. Are you interested in seeing the 2021 version?
Maybe. But unless I find some others who are also interested in going to the play then I most likely not see it on Broadway.

(Nave me, I thought it was a play not a movie. But same answer.)

2) Growing up, Crazy Sam thought this song was called, "A Place for Us." Tell us about a song whose title or lyrics you got wrong or misheard.
Revved up like a douche.
I always wondered about those lyrics, it wasn’t until the internet that I found out that they were saying, in Manfred Mann's Earth Band song Blinded By Light but what they were actually saying “Revved up like a deuce.”


3) Barbra Streisand sings of longing for "time to spare, time to learn and time to care." The holidays are often too busy for many of us. With Thanksgiving almost upon us, do you wish you had more time?
Nope, I’m all set. I already bought all my “fixings” for the dinner. Except one the apple pie… well I actually did buy the pie but it never made it through the week.

4) Early in her career, Barbra was pressured to have her nose fixed. She stubbornly refused, and did rather well anyway. Tell us about a time you resisted pressure.
Well how about I tell you about the time I didn’t manage to resist the pressure?

On Monday I bought the food for my Thanksgiving dinner including an apple pie… Well the pie didn’t make it past Thursday.

5) In the late 1960s she briefly dated Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, father of current PM Justin Trudeau. Obviously Barbra knew what became of Pierre and his family without having to look them up. Without the advantage of Google, do you know where one of your former loves is in 2021?
Yes, we are friends on Facebook.

6) One of Barbra's hit movies is The Way We Were, a love story about hopelessly mismatched lovers. Streisand always wanted to do a sequel and worked with a screenwriter on a treatment. Her costar, Robert Redford, refused. He simply was not interested in revisiting his character. Is there a movie series that you especially enjoy?
Well I just started to watch the “Wheel of Time” on Prime and it is pretty good.

7) Barbra met her husband, James Brolin, at a dinner thrown by friends. They hit it off immediately, but he had to leave the next day to begin a movie in Ireland, so they began their romance over the phone. Do you enjoy long phone calls? Would you prefer video calls (Zoom)?
Oh… don’t talk about Zoom, I’m all Zoomed out. I had a total of 4 hours of Zoom meeting this week!
When I talk to my brother we usually talk for about an hour.

8) On July 1, 1998, two years to the day after their first meeting, Barbra and Brolin married. It used to be that brides were advised against wearing white for their second wedding, but Barbra ignored that, wearing a white beaded gown. Do you believe brides should still avoid white the second time around?
Bah Humbug! Wear what you want.
“You can’t wear white after Labor Day” what if it is 90 degrees out and a nice white light cotton blouse is more comfortable than a heavier fabric.

9) Random question: Is anyone on your bad side this morning?
Nope. Since I’m single there is no one who can get on my bad side in the morning, now latter in the day might be different. There is time to get on my “bad side.”


Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

8 comments:

  1. I think it's nice that you and a former beau are still Facebook friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear that you are liking Wheel of Time. I'm afraid, lol. Saw a terrible review of it, but you know how reviews are...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is free to Prime members, try it. It won't cost you anything if you don't like it.

      Delete
  3. I would have been too tempted by the apple pie, also!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 … that is a classic misheard lyric. Did you know Springsteen wrote it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, #2...I thought it was douche for a long time too. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even "revved up like a deuce" doesn't make sense to me. I don't think we will ever know what those lyrics really are! I thought it was "wrapped up like an edition of The Roller in the Night." That makes sense to me, if you consider the Roller to be the Rolling Stone magazine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A deuce is a two barrel carburetor for gas on the cars before the 80s.
      From my "gearhead" days.

      Delete