On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
1) Is rain expected where you are today?
I am writing this Friday morning and it raining with wet snow mixed in.
2) In this song, Barbra Streisand warns everyone to not spoil her optimistic mood. What is something you're feeling really good about today?
Well today I have to run around getting ready to head up to the Cape.
3) She sings that life is candy and the sun is a ball of butter. Which have you consumed more recently, candy or butter?
Sadly butter, way too much butter.
4) This song is from the musical Funny Girl. It's based on the true story of Fanny Brice, who starred on Broadway, in movies and on the radio between 1910 and 1951. At the beginning of her career, no one thought she would succeed because of her unconventional looks, but she forged ahead, saying, "I make things happen for me." Are you focused, like Fanny?
Yes. My latest project is to organize a LGBTQ+ vaccination day where all the Pride centers will be sponsoring a vaccination day, everyone will be welcome but we are going to advertise in the LGBTQ+ media. Accord to the state DPH we are falling behind in vaccinations.
So I googled Fanny Brice and what came up was this…
1 BSnks #020 Charles Harding Blair to Arrive - OTR The Baby Snooks Show - 25:47
5) When the stage version of Funny Girl was in pre-production, the part of Fanny was offered to actress Anne Bancroft, but she felt the songs were too difficult for her. Singer Eydie Gorme dropped out when told her husband, Steve Lawrence, could not play the male lead. Carol Burnett said she'd love to do it, but also admitted she thought she was wrong for the role. Running out of time and options, producer Ray Stark decided to give lesser-known Barbra Streisand a try... and the rest, as they say, is history. Has there ever been a time in your life when you were glad things didn't work out as you'd originally planned?
Probably, but I don’t remember offhand.
6) Funny Girl was the top grossing movie of 1968. #2 was 2001: A Space Odyssey. Given the choice, would you rather watch a musical or a sci-fi flick?
Um…that is really hard question to answer, as you know I am a devote si-fi fan. But there is always a but. I love going to musicals and I am trying to see if I can get a group together to see South Pacific at the Goodspeed Opera House this fall.
7) Streisand's favorite color is burgundy because it reminds her of when, as a little girl, she received a hand-knitted sweater as a gift and wearing it made her feel special. What color is your favorite sweater?
Well I was hoping to be putting it away for the season but Mother Nature had other ideas. My favorite sweater is a red sweater with a cowl neck.
8) In 1960, she began performing in New York clubs but she had a hard time getting work because she was only 18 and most nightclubs wouldn't hire a girl not yet old enough to drink. Do you remember your first legal alcoholic beverage? What did you have?
Yes, it was a beer and my brother gave me some brotherly advice which was “If you’re drinking get up and walk around every once in awhile so you know how drunk you are.”
9) Random question: How many people know the real you?
How high is high?
I know a lot of people and I think many of them know me and probably a dozen people are close to me.
Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!
I decided to go up tomorrow it will be showring most of the day today and very windy.