Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Unexpected Allies Or You’re Never To Old To Learn Something New.

Sometimes we have allies where we don’t expect them.

One convert at a time and that is the best way to change someone’s mind.
Why Barbara Bush had a change of heart on transgender issues in her 90s
Jenna Bush Hager reveals that her late grandmother believed transgender people are “born that way.”
NBC News
By Alexander Kacala
September 18, 2020


When Jenna Bush Hager was asked what would surprise people most about her grandmother Barbara Bush, the "TODAY" show co-host revealed that the former first lady had some surprisingly progressive views.

During an appearance on Bravo’s “Watch What Happens Live” to promote her new book, “Everything Beautiful in Its Time,” Hager explained that despite being labeled a conservative, her grandmother was actually quite contemporary.
[…]
“One of the things that I learned about her in writing this book is that she changed her views even in her 90s,” Hager added, sharing an anecdote about how her grandmother changed her mind about transgender issues after a lunch conversation with the historian Tim Naftali.

“One of the things that I learned about her in writing this book is that she changed her views even in her 90s,” Hager added, sharing an anecdote about how her grandmother changed her mind about transgender issues after a lunch conversation with the historian Tim Naftali.
Sometimes the best way to change someone’s mind is to just sit and talk to them and get to know them. At my cottage I have to work with contractors many times I can tell that they didn’t know that I am trans until I meet them and most of the times they just don’t that I am trans… my money is green.

As many of you know I was in a minor car accident, literally a “fender bender.” The first time that I brought my car to the auto body shop I could tell the moment he realized that I was trans, his eyes got wider and he took a step back but as we talked he relaxed and we were back to normal social distance (pre-COVID-19). Last week when I walked into his shop again he remembered me.

We can go to marches and rallies, we can be on the news but what does the most good is one-on-one activism. They go home and tell their spouses that I just meet a trans person and you know what she was just like anyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment