Monday, May 16, 2016

When You Stir Up Hate (Part 24)

You don’t know who is going to get swept up in it. Sometimes it is just a person who doesn’t fit our idea of gender normative.
Kentucky woman says man beat her for looking too masculine — as people stood by and watched
RawStory
David Ferguson
14 May 2016

A Paintsville, Kentucky woman said that she was attacked and brutally beaten on Thursday for looking too masculine.

In a post on her Facebook timeline, Brittany Nicole Wallace wrote, “Today I was assaulted. A man assaulted me because I look like a ‘dike’! He told me that he would ‘beat me like the man I want to be.’ He said, ‘people like me make him hate the world.'”

“He started by hitting me over and over in the face until he got me down,” Wallace wrote. “After I was down he began to kick me in the stomach, side, and face.”
[…]
“The sad part is that no one would come help me either. Several people stood around and watched this happen to me. Again, I truly believe that if I had a more feminine appearance someone would have helped,” she wrote.
The worst part was that no one came to help her they just let the man beat her to an inch of her life. Whether the bystanders stood by because they were afraid or they agreed with the man we do not know.

She said,
“This has not only physically but mentally and emotionally damaged me. I will do everything I can to try to put a stop to this hate and violence,” she went on. “I love people and try to help people all the time. All I ask if you read this is to please stop the hate, and help people when you see them getting hurt verbally, emotionally and physically!”
This is what happens when you use hate for votes, when you demonize others for your own gain.

The Republicans have made hate a part of their party platform and are encouraging states to do likewise. The New Civil Rights Movement reports that Texas just added anti-LGBT steps to their party platform.
The first anti-trans plank appears in a section of the 2016 Texas GOP platform called, "Strengthening Families, Protecting Life, and Promoting Health: Celebrating Traditional Marriage."

It reads:
Gender Identity — We urge the enactment of legislation addressing individuals’ use of bathrooms, showers and locker rooms that correspond with their biologically determined sex. 
This plank was approved by a whopping 90 percent of GOP delegates to the party's state convention in Dallas.
They are like a trapped a wild animal looking for a soft underbelly to attack and they found trans people.

No comments:

Post a Comment