Monday, February 18, 2013

What Were The Things You Wished You Knew?

I found this article on the Huffington Post this morning, “10 Things I Wish I'd Known When I Started My Transition” by Annika Penelope, I agree with some of her things but not others.

Her number one thing that she wished she knew, I don’t agree with…
1. Brace yourself for beauty culture.

This is especially true for my fellow femme girls, and there's a reason it's #1 on my list. Before I started presenting as female, I had no idea just how toxic beauty culture is in this country…
I haven’t found that to be true. I never really had any illusions of being glamorous or embed in the beauty culture. A couple time I had a makeover and I thought I looked artificial. Last Saturday I went to a “High Glam” dinner for a coronation, I was dressed in what I consider semi-formal (this picture was from another dinner) and I wore no makeup, not even lipstick. I sat at the table of the agency where I did my internship and my former boss and the staff was also sitting at the table. There were four women and one man at our table besides me, but none of the women wore any makeup and they all wore slacks. I’m not saying that Annika is wrong, but not every trans-women wears make-up or is tied up in the  toxic beauty culture just like every women is not tied up in the culture.

I agree with Annika on her second thing she wished she knew, “Say goodbye to male privilege.” I think when you lose privilege it is very noticeable. You might have not noticed male privilege when you had it but you sure notice it when you lose it. I also agree with her next two thing she knew, “People will surprise you” and “Prepare for (micro)aggressions.” The people who I thought would disown me, stood by me and were my biggest supporters. I think that no one has turned away from me, some might have gotten a little distance but haven’t cut me off.

While (micro)aggression I see a lot of, use of wrong pronouns and little digs. Not enough to call them on it but just enough for them to get a little dig in or you see the giggles that they don’t try to hide.

Her next thing she wished to know is “Go to Therapy” which I don’t agree with, I only went to therapy to get my hormones and I didn’t feel that I need any therapy at all, it was only because of the guidelines required it.

I agree with her other five things she wished she knew before she transitioned.

So what are some of your things that you wished that you knew about transitioning or going out in public crossdressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment