Friday, June 11, 2010

On The Road – Day 4

We are down in Asheville, NC for my nephew’s wedding, I came down with my cousin’s family and after we realized that the family is spread out all the Asheville area, I rented a Prius. In the evening I drove up to the cabin that my cousins are renting for the wedding, it is over 25 away up in the Blue Ridge Mountains on the edge of the Pisgah National Forest. The road up to their cabin in Barnardsville was crazy with hairpin curves that were so sharp, that the headlights didn’t show the road and it went up at a steep angle. This went on for over a mile, up and up the mountain.

Today, I will be going up to the cabin that my brother rented in Weaverville and tonight I think that we are planning on going to a concert in Asheville.

The only downside of the day was the motel day clerk, when I was meeting the guy from the rental car company in the lobby, the clerk questioned me about staying at the motel. She seemed a little incredulous that I was staying here. But as usual all my worrying about the ride down here and having to stop at rest areas was for nothing.

Day Five is here.

1 comment:

  1. Ah. Wonderful bit of road, that. :-)

    I try to ride it whenever I can; which is "not often enough". Around Asheville, there are usually too many cops for me to really enjoy the BRP on my Ducati.

    Although if you want a truly twisty road, try US129: the Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves, some of which make normal hairpins look like fast sweepers, in 11 miles. It's not far from Asheville, and the road there is really pretty.

    Try to check out Hendersonville while you're in that area. It's a really nice town, with some really good restaurants and shopping. :-)

    Carolyn Ann

    PS Have fun at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete