Sunday, May 03, 2009

Northampton MA Pride Festival

I went up to the Pride Festival yesterday and when I got there at around 12:45, it was mobbed. I had to drive around for a half hour looking for a parking space and I ended up parking up near Smith College and walking ten minutes to festival. When I got to the parking lot where the festival was being held, it was wall to wall people. I wandered around meeting friends as I walked and I ended up at the uniTy support groups table and hung around there until I had to walk back to the car to feed the parking meter since it was only one hour parking.The parking garage now had space, so I moved my car there and snapped this picture from the fourth floor (The picture quality isn’t that great because it is actually a frame from a video that I took). By that time, the crowd was down to about half of what it was when I got there.
The Pride Festival has vendors selling everything from vinyl siding to cheap trinkets, from clinics giving away condoms to clowns blowing up balloons and face painters for the kids. It has food vendors selling three pieces of Thai chicken on a sticks for $3.50 or fried dough vendors or ice cream trucks or sausages and peppers. On the stage there were over amplified singers that their words were all garbled to a point where you couldn’t make out the words. It is you typical carnival.

No comments:

Post a Comment