Sunday, January 11, 2009

When Police Break The Law…

it can cause irrevocable harm.

Here in Connecticut, a crossdresser was changing in her van in front of her apartment and a neighbor saw her and thought she was being assaulted or abducted and called the police.

The neighbor blocked the crossdresser's van with his car to prevent escape and the crossdresser panicked, drove over a snow bank and fled with the neighbor following her.

The police gave chase and eventually appended her after running over spike sticks and she was charged with interfering with police, engaging police in pursuit and driving with a suspended license.

The local newspaper covered the story, publishing her name and address.

Was the neighbor right to call the police and follow her? Yes.
Was the police right in giving chase? Yes.
Was the police right in arresting her? Yes.
Was the police right in reveling how she was dressed? No.

In Connecticut, it is AGAINST the law to enter in a police report how a person was dressed unless it had a direct bearing on the case, which this did not.

The original call was about a women being abducted or assaulted and the police could have just said, “That she mistook him for a woman.” The other charges had nothing to do with the way she was dressed.

Because of the police misconduct this person may lose their job and from now on whenever you google her name you will find about this. In addition, this would have been just another traffic offense and not something that would have been sensationalized in the media.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine what it is like to deal with what you do. But, while I was doing Sunday Stealing, it asked about being brave. I think what you have dones is very brave...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much and I appreciate it.

    To me, I don’t see what I do as being brave. I see it as the only alternative to what I do not want to think about. I do it because I look around and see my brothers and sisters being discriminated and I hope what I do will make their lives a little easier.

    What I see in this blog entry is a scared and frighten crossdresser who is afraid of the stigma attached to crossdressing and she was afraid of losing her job and/or family and she panicked. Who is now being exploited because of the way she was dressed.

    I was like that. When I tried to go out in public for the first time at a support group function, I couldn’t. I cried for about a half hour, turned around and went home, I then cried myself to sleep. At times, I am still afraid to go to certain places like hardware stores and garages. I have also lost friends; however, I have gained many more friends and I found that most people really don’t care how dress and they are willing to accept you for who you are.

    ReplyDelete