Saturday, February 04, 2023

Sam’s Saturday 9: Beautiful

 Sam’s Saturday 9: Beautiful (2005)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Moby sings about a self-involved couple who believes others are fascinated by their glamorous lives. Tell us about the most interesting couple you know.

My parents, they brought up two great kids.

2) This song was inspired by the proliferation of reality shows, where celebrities share their lives on camera. Does the idea of becoming rich and famous in exchange for letting a film crew into your home appeal to you?

Nope. Not a bit.

3) "Beautiful" appears in the soundtrack of the movie The Devil Wears Prada, starring Meryl Streep. She was nominated for an Academy Award for her performance, which is no surprise because she has more Oscar nominations than any other actor or actress. Do you have a favorite Meryl Streep movie?

Oo! Oo! Yes. I have been many, many times been to where they filmed the move “Great Hope Springs.” It was kind of nice recognize the buildings and have eaten in the restaurant they ate in. (There is a nice restaurant on a pier. One time when we were eating there a big yacht came in and docked. The crew had white shorts with blue tops and they loaded the food on board. That was followed by all they really rich guests arrived and went on board.)

4) Moby has openly discussed how Christ has influenced his life and art. Do you consider yourself religious or spiritual? If yes, how do your beliefs impact your daily life?

No. I’m not, I believe in a supreme being but not in organized religion. I believe it is more important how you treat others and live your life. When I die I hope that I made the world a little bit better than when I arrived.

5) His real name is Richard Melville Hall. His parents began calling him "Moby" almost immediately because they felt "Richard Melville Hall" sounded too big for a baby. When did you most recently hold a baby?

Whoa! Decades. All my grand nieces and nephews are in school, from 5th grade to college.

6) He began shaving his head when he was in his 30s. It was at the request of a girlfriend, who said she liked bald men. Would you change your appearance to please your lover?

Naw. It is who I am.

7) Moby's house was once owned by Marlon Brando and was later rented to The Beatles. What do you know about the previous residents of your home?

There is no one who owned my house, I was the general contractor in building it.

8) In 2005, when "Beautiful" was released, actress Ruth Warrick died. She began her career in radio, made her film debut in Citizen Kane, and she was best known as matriarch Phoebe Tyler on All My Children, a role she played for 35 years. What's the longest you stayed at the same job?

28 years. First job was 4 years and ended when they went bankrupt on purpose. 2 years and that ended when they got bought out. Then 28 years and we were bought out five times, the last time they closed down the factory.

9) Random question: Without looking, do you know how much money is in your checking account right now?

Um… kind of. I know how much is in there and I know how many checks I wrote so in other words I know approximately. 


Brr…

Overnight it was -9 F overnight with a huge wind chill of a feel like temperature of -20 F. My furnace was running for 30 minutes and off for 20 minutes. I dreamed of Fifty dollars bills going up the chimney. But fear not by early next week it will be up in the 50s.

I just hope that I don’t run out of heating oil!

P.S. I wonder how Allison (Kwizgiver) is doing up in northern Maine? My cousin in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid was -22 wind chill -35.

Mt. Washington weather.

7 comments:

  1. #7 -- How exciting that you got to build your house the way you wanted it. There are so many things about this place I'd change if I had the time, money or talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's -58 with the windchill today and my car won't even turn over. Without the windchill it's -24.

    I'm a Meryl fan, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Christian, but I also believe organized religion can be crazy sometimes. I do not like how they all say their way is the only way. I don't believe that at all. God loves everyone.
    It has been really cold lately. I hope Kwiz is keeping warm too. I missed the whole week at school this week because of ice. It was cold here too, but not that cold. It was tolerable. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I beat you. I worked for 30 years for a psychiatrist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You built your house…so I guess you got exactly what you wanted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course after a couple of years the "I wish..." begins, I wish that " made the kitchen bigger" I wish...

      Delete
  6. We built our house, too. There are some things I would change if I were to do it again, but not many. (Mostly I would have put in better windows!)

    ReplyDelete