Saturday, September 11, 2021

Saturday 9: Jose Cuervo

Sam’s Saturday 9: Jose Cuervo (1983)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
This Saturday is Hartford Pride so I will be out of the house most of the day.



Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Here it is...


1) In this song, Shelly West sings that she woke up late on a sunny morning. How's the weather in your part of the world?
Today is going to gorgeous, no humidity and temps in the mid-seventies.

2) She wonders if she started any fights while under the influence. Who's the last person you quarreled with?
That was so long ago that I don’t remember… quarreling is non-productive.

3) OK, margaritas for everyone! Shelly sings that she likes hers with salt. What's your order? Classic or strawberry? Salt or sugar on the rim?
Classic margaritas with salt.

4) Jose Cuervo was a real person. He was one of the first to put tequila in bottles instead of barrels. Since bottles are easier to ship, it was a good decision. Tell us about a recent choice you're glad you made.
Getting my MSW.

5) This week's featured artist, Shelly West, decided upon a career in music while still very young. She went on the road and sang backup for her mom, country music legend Dottie West, when she was still in her teens. When Sam was in her teens, she really didn't give her professional future that much thought. How about you? Did you already have career ambitions when you were in your teens?
Yes, I wanted to go into electrical engineering. I had one student advisor that told me to give up on my dreams of becoming an engineer.

6) In 1983, the year this song was popular, Sally Ride became the first American woman in space. Do you ever fantasize about being an astronaut?
Of course, we even tried to figure out how to make a rocket.

7) Also in 1983, quarterback Aaron Rodgers was born. The NFL season is just kicking off. Do you have high hopes for your team this year?
I don’t have a “team” and I am not interested in sports.
Back in high school gym class I wear it like a badge of honor; being the last one picked for a team. It was football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring and I hated all of them. Gym classes revolved sports, the gym teachers were all coaches, their life revolved around sports, they lived and breathed sports, they considered it un-American to not like sports.
Then in college, liberation! The gym classes that I took: Scuba diving, skiing, backpacking, and skeet shooting, I loved them all!

8) In 1983, Motorola introduced the first cell phone. Do you have an easy time adapting to new technology?
It depends. Certain technology I pick up on, what I don’t understand are apps. Why do you need them?
Take Facebook they want you to use the Facebook app and the Messenger App why?
If I am in an internet browsers why should I have to open an app to see Messenger? When all I have to click on the Messenger icon on the top left, it just doesn’t make sense to me, the only thing that I see that it does is for Facebook and other apps to better track you.

9) Think of the last potato chip you had. Was it plain, sea salt, barbecue, sour cream and onion ...?
Plain, only because a bag of chips came with the Turkey wrap with Cranberry Sauce, Mayo,
Lettuce, Tomatoes and Onions .

5 comments:

  1. It's still early, but so far we seem to be a classic margarita crowd here at Saturday 9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is it with advisors giving bad advice? Mine told me not to bother going to college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hated P.E. I am just not good at physical sports. I took tennis in college. That was ok guess. I am not good at that either.
    Your weather sounds perfect!
    I do not understand people that do not support students hopes and dreams. If there is a passion there to do something, you are going to be successful. Loved your answers. Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hated gym, too. It was the one class I'd get a B in. A's in everything else.

    ReplyDelete