Thursday, February 11, 2021

The Quagmire

But it's all right now
I learned my lesson well
You see ya can't please everyone
So ya got to please yourself
Garden Party – Ricky Nelson knew what he is talking about.
The LGBTQ+ community is the same.

When it comes to definitions there is a divide between young and old, there is a divide between men and women, there is a divide between races.

Trans is an umbrella… no it is not, it means people who have transitioned,,, no it means anyone who crosses the gender divide.

Cis male and trans male… no, no, no, Cis is an insult.

Transsexual… is the word objectionable or not. Many in the community find the word highly objectional while others do not. It is mainly divided by age, many younger trans people do while others continue using the word.

We are trying to create a survey and those are some of the problems we are trying to work through. Like society today there is no middle ground, even our common language we can't agree upon. We lost the art of compromise.

Back around 2010 I was working on a survey to study the trans community in Hartford on HIV/AIDS prevention and we spent over six months on just the demographic on how to qualitate the community, if they are crossdressers, drag queens or kings, or if they transitioned?

Now we are muddling through the same quagmire on a different survey.

“You see ya can't please everyone.”

So what are your thoughts about how we define ourselves?

3 comments:

  1. As an elder in the QUEER community I always find it objectional when folks use the word Queer who are mainstream L and G folks. Queer to me has always been a very political term, such as in Queer Nation. Such as in Queers fight the system not join it, such as liberation not assimilation. But you know the older I get I find that there are so many other pressing problems in our world than stalling over what do you call me. I refuse to put the he/him, she, her on anything. For many years I only used R. for my first name. What am I? I am so happy that some in the LGBTQ+ groupings have this issue to tit for tat about that way those of us who see before our eyes real issues can continue working without the interruptions of privilege and show/ ship of a few.

    I must say I admire you Diana to put up with this by so many who are still wet behind their ears and about 2 feet out of the womb. I gave out on the nonsense awhile back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll tell you, I am getting to the point where I am ready to step down. It has changed since I first asked Jerimarie what can I do to help. It has been 20 years since Pride was held at Riverfront park and the COS booth was next to CTAC booth.
      The times have been a changing.

      Delete
  2. I just remembered when Robin read a very long poem naming a bunch of groupings under the umbrella. I better be careful using umbrella as some may like the rain to fall on them. Maybe the folks working on the survey should call on her. Maybe I am way off base not giving this my all. Maybe these questions should be put to the folks who take the time to answer the survey. Maybe the group should take a survey before the survey? I suppose this could be filed under "making hay while the sun shines", even if storm clouds are still gathering, our people are still being murdered and beaten and the threat of the right wing looms large on the horizon. As long as no one calls me a fag, oh wait a min. I know a well know queer artist named Sissy Fag. Stop or you will start a fight over that. Be well Diana.

    ReplyDelete