Saturday, February 13, 2021

Saturday 9: My Valentine

Sam’s Saturday 9: My Valentine (2011)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Paul McCartney sings that he won't let a day go by without remembering why he loves his valentine. What blessings are you thankful for today?
Making it through 2020

2) Paul directed the video of Natalie Portman translating his song into American Sign Language (ASL), which is the third most commonly-used language in both the United States and Canada. British Sign Language (BSL), commonly used in EU countries, is very different. Do you find it easy to learn new languages?
No, I have a hard enough time learning English.

Back in college I decided to learn ASL but I am so bad at spelling that when I tried to spell a word I usually got a quizzical look… Hun?

3) The song is on Paul's Kisses on the Bottom CD, for which he won one of his 18 Grammy Awards. What compliment or accolade have you recently received?
I have no idea. Probably from my brother.

4) Paul is an honorary NYPD detective. He was given this designation for performing a charity concert after 9/11. Do you know anyone in law enforcement?
My uncle, he was very high in the city police department and reported directly to the mayor.

But he did get me out of a jury one time for a murder trial. The judge asked the prospective jurors during the voir dire, “Do you know any police officers?” and I replied, “Yes your honor, my uncle is a police officer.” You are dismissed.

5) Bob Dylan has said of Paul, "I'm in awe of McCartney. He's about the only one I'm in awe of. He can do it all. He never lets up. He's just so effortless." Tell us about someone whose talent you admire.
Someone who can play an instrument or sing. I am tone deaf and cannot carry a beat.

This is the last Saturday 9 before Valentine's Day and so this morning we shall focus on the upcoming holiday.

6) The holiday is also known as The Feast of St. Valentine. Do you have a special meal planned for February 14?
Naw. It is just another commercial day that businesses created to sell cards, flowers, and chocolate.

7) The phrase "wear your heart on your sleeve" began in medieval times. On Valentine's Day, men would celebrate the holiday by displaying their lady love's name on their sleeves. If you were going to adopt this custom, whose name would you wear?
My mother… Aww, she passed away in 2002.

8) Women buy and send more Valentines than men do. Who received the last greeting card you sent?
It was a Christmas card to my cousin’s wife.

9) Men buy and send more roses at Valentine's Day than women do. What's your favorite flower?
Lilacs, I have a bush right outside my bedroom window and in the spring it smells so good.

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

11 comments:

  1. Lilacs are my favorite too! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have a lilac bush. I need to find something to replace some 30-year-old roses that need to come up, and I want bushes that I don't have to worry over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I have smelled a lilac. I think I will find one this year to try.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice that you have a lilac bush outside your bedroom. I don't leave my windows open. I will look for a lilac this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad was a deputy in the Game Commission and he always played that card to get out of jury duty. I never got called until a couple of years ago, long after his passing.

    Oh, I bet the lilacs smell amazing while you are sleeping. My daughter has a whole hedgerow of them on the edge of her yard. They were probably planted by whoever built the house 80+ years ago. She hates them and wants to cut them down and I'm like, Nooooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have a white lilac bush. They smell so good! Loved your answers! Happy Valentine's Day! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lilacs smell so good! They're the transition from spring into summer around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that Valentine's Day is a rip off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yes, making it through 2020. That is major!
    We have a native Lilac which would be nice to plant in our garden, as all the birds and insects are used to it for nectar.
    We got dismissed from a LOT of juries because of our relatives. lol.
    Enjoy your Sunday and your week.

    ReplyDelete