Wednesday, May 13, 2020

No Blog Today... I'm Recovering From A Disaster

I have been up since 2 AM when I woke to the smell of smoke, an arcing noise, and gurgling water.

Hun? What the? It took a moment for my brain to engage... then panic!!!!!!

The burned heating pad is what cause the whole thing.

The heater arcing melted a hole in waterbed and liner.

The charred wood from under the heating pad.

I have been up since 2 draining the waterbed. Water damage was minimal probably only a couple of gallons leaked out on to the floor, some smoke in the house. I first thought it was just a leak and I didn't know where smokey smell was coming from (I unplugged everything right away because I didn't know if it was th bed lamp smoking from the water or it was the heater controller so I yanked all the plugs out of the outlet. Also there wasn't enough smoke to set off the smoke detectors) and I didn't find out that it was the heater until I drained the mattress and could lift the mattress up.

I was lucky, I was damn lucky that I woke up when I did it could have been a fire, flood, and I would have been laying in a puddle with a live wire!



Update 7:30 PM

I am almost finished cleaning up... it was messy

Two friends came over and helped drag out the old mattress, I tried to get all the water out of it but there was still a lot left, about 200 pounds! As we dragged it outside it left a trail of water behind soaking the bedroom rug. When we got it outside we cut holes it to drain and then we had to stuff it in the garbage can, fulling the can.

I had fans blowing on the rug all day and it is slowly drying out, at least it is not squishing when you step on the rug. I just inflated one those inflatable guest beds and I'll sleep in my own room tonight.

I have been up since 2 AM and just had an hour nap during the day so it is off to bed around 9 with a sleeping pill.

I'm beat!

3 comments:

  1. Well, that's a good post for a non-post.
    I'm so relieved that you weren't electrocuted in the puddle with a live wire.
    At first I thought this was a throwback post to the 1980s LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - you were very lucky! Glad you escaped unscathed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeek! Glad you are okay. What a frightening experience waking up to. You best just get a regular mattress the heck with water and heating pads and all that under you while you sleep.

    ReplyDelete