Saturday, October 15, 2016

Saturday 9: If I Knew You Were Comin'

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: If I Knew You Were Comin' (1950)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is performed by a woman who is positively tickled to have unexpected company. How do you feel when people drop by unannounced?
I don’t like it. Just about everyone has a phone and a phone call is all it takes.

2) She is clearly proud of her skills in the kitchen. Do you enjoy baking? Cooking? 
I enjoy cooking but I don’t bake a lot.

3) Reference is made to hiring a band. Tell us the last time you were at an event with live music.
A couple of months ago.
There used to be a coffee shop that had live original music on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday but they had a fire and never rebuilt.

4) After making recordings in the early 1950s, Eileen Barton appeared on daytime TV in the early 1960s -- including a game show called Video Village. Let's say we're all headed to a TV game show taping this morning. Would you volunteer to appear as a contestant? Or would you rather just stay in the audience?
Nope, I have no desire to be a contestant on a game show and I don’t watch them. However, I have been on television a number of times, the most recent was on one of those Sunday morning talking heads shows on politics.

5) In 1961, Ms. Barton got married in Juarez, Mexico. What's the longest distance you've ever traveled to attend a wedding?
From the right coast to the left coast in 1999.

6) In 1950, when this song was popular, the Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup. Are you looking forward to the upcoming NHL season?
Nope… I don’t watch sports.

7) 1950 also marks the first time anyone in the United States paid by credit card. Do you pay with a credit card to get rewards? If yes, what rewards are you accumulating (points, cash back, airline miles)?
I just get points and the last thing I got with them was noise cancelling headphones.

8) In 1950, an athlete named Florence Chadwick swam the English Channel. Are you a good swimmer?
I like the water but I like floating around rather than swimming.

9) Random question: Think about the last "white lie" you told. Was it to spare someone's feelings, or to make your day go more smoothly?
Probably a little of both; I did it to spare the person’s feelings but also because I didn’t want to listen to his complaining all day.

3 comments:

  1. Noise cancelling headphones are a nice treat for yourself. Sounds like you made good use of your points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have probably won the wedding distance flag. Wow that's a long way!
    And yes, almost everyone has a cell phone and could call. No need for "dropping in".
    Sad about the little coffee shop. We would go to taverns and sometimes to blue grass festivals and pizza parlors. Fun days

    ReplyDelete