Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Day 3 At Fantasia Fair

It was a great day today, it didn’t start out great but it ended up great. What wasn’t great was waking up at 3 AM and not being able to falls back to sleep, I went to bed at around 10:30 PM so I got a little five hours of sleep. I was talking to someone after the comedy show and they said they went to bed at 4 AM and slept till noon so they got more sleep than I did! She was at 308 Commercial St. which is kind of a drop in center for insomniacs.

It rained overnight and when I looked out the door to the deck in the morning there was a blanket of fog covering the harbor which burned off after a couple of hours and it turned out to be a nice day. I had lunch at the Post Office… no not that post office but rather it is a restaurant where the old post office used to be located. They served meatloaf, mash potatoes, mixed vegetables, and for dessert a decadent chocolate cake which was all excellent,  but I’m not used to a large lunch so when dinner came around I wasn’t that hunger.

The keynote speaker was Jennifer Boylan, author, professor, and television star.  I first meet her way back when she was on the book tour for her new book “She’s Not There” at a bookstore in South Hadley, then our paths crossed again in Washington DC when she was lobbying for ENDA. I had pizza with her and her wife when she spoke at Smith College in Northampton, and again our paths crossed when she spoke at Yale.

Her topic for the keynote was telling our stories, how our stories make a difference, that they are powerful tools for making allies. She told her story and also touched on some of the new books that she has and is writing including a free book for the Kindle “Falcon Quinn and the Bullies of Greenblud.” She talked a little bit about the TV I am Cait and her work for GLAAD. She then did a workshop after the keynote where she did a Q&A session; she is a great public speaker, humorous and informative and you can see easily why she is a professor.

After the workshop I went back to my motel room to take a nap which didn’t happen. At six we took a taxi to the Provincetown Theater for the Butterfly Music Transgender Chorus and then comedian Jaye McBride. The chorus needs a little work but since they only started six months ago I think they did pretty well for the first soloist I think that they said that this was the first time she sang solo, she looked like she was in her late teens or early twenties.

The comedian was funny but raunchy for my tastes, and she did have me laughing but I guess I am getting old and starting to be more like my parents every day; the younger generation loved her and I was watching the young soloist during the comedy act and she was rolling around laughing at the comedian’s jokes.

No comments:

Post a Comment