Friday, January 17, 2014

Gathering My Nerve…

I hate breaking my routine; I am a creature of habit. I hate going to a place by myself and it has to do with two factors, the first factor has been my lifelong shyness. At work when they sent me to a meeting alone with all strangers my anxiety level went up. However, I took a deep breath and went to the meeting.

The second factor now is my trans-ness. I have had some bad experiences (like an auto parts store) and that is always in the back of my mind, but I took a deep breath and went inside.

So now I’m taking another deep breath and go to the town senior center to the photo group that meets on Fridays. I’m going to call the center and get some basic information first, like making sure that they are still meeting this afternoon and what do they do at the meeting.

There is actually a third reason… I don’t feel like I’m a senior… there are all old folks there and I’m not old! Just because I’m old enough to collect Social Security doesn’t mean I’m old.

Anyhow I will fill you all in with an update latter this afternoon. Probably as usual my worrying will be over nothing.

Update 3:15PM:

As usual I got worried over nothing. They were a great bunch of people, there were four men there and I think I am a little bit ahead of them in skill level. However, there was one guy who is about equal with me and has a number of great photographs that he showed the group. One little tense moment when they asked where did I use to work and one of the other men said that he used to work there also, it turned out that he left a couple of years before me. From the membership list it looks like there are a couple of women who also are memebers.


1 comment:

  1. Good for you for going and tackling that fear! Yay, YOU!

    ReplyDelete