Sunday, June 18, 2006

Albany Trans Rights Conference

I just got back from a conference on anti discrimination legislation, the conference group was small only forty-one people there and they were from nine target states that have an active trans movement and an anti discrimination legislation that only covers sexual orientation. I left the conferences feeling very empowered, that I want to go out and change the world but I know it will be a long, long process. Maybe covering years before we get the legislation passed.
Those of you who have been following my blog know that I have been getting a lot more involved in the anti discrimination legislation, if you told me five years ago that I would be this involved, I would have told you “In you dreams.” But as I sat there in the support groups listening I started to see real discrimination, people loosing their jobs, their housing, police harassment and being refused medical treatment for being themselves. And it started affecting me; I wanted to do something to help, to do something.
I joke about always ending up volunteering for something or other, but you know what? I do it because I want to; because I feel that I can make a difference and you can to. It is not hard, all you have to do is pick up a phone or go to an event and volunteer, you don’t have to get in up to you neck, just stick your big toe in and feel the waters. Go to the Town Hall meeting this Wednesday it is being held at 7 pm at the Lecture/Recital Hall in the Greater Hartford Academy of Arts, The Learning Corridor Campus on the corner of Vernon and Washington Streets, Hartford, CT, For more information visit Ct TransAdvocacy or call Amy Miller at 860 247-6090 or Jerimarie Liesegang at 860 983-8139. Click here for more information.
We are at the point in history where we can make a difference

No comments:

Post a Comment