Friday, September 01, 2006

At The Mall

My brother was down this weekend from Kennebunk to help take the stuff from my parent’s house that is stored in my basement up to our cottage. While we were loading the truck, I got a call from the camera store telling me my remote for my camera was in and I could pick it up. So after we finished we went to the mall to pick it up (I went as Don because my brother doesn’t like me to change back and forth and we also went out to dinner with my nephew.). On the way out of the mall we walked by a group of teenage boys hanging out, one of them followed us and made kissing sounds thinking that we were a couple of gays.
First I was mad (I still am), and then I thought is that what the kids now a days think when they see two men walking together? What made them think that it was OK to confront two strangers like that in a public mall? Was it because he was in a pack of his friends that he was emboldened or was he showing off to the girls that were sitting on the bench?
I am more or less use to being harassed and go out of my way to avoid locations where I might get harassed, like the mall. So I wasn’t prepared for this and it took me off guard, maybe this is why I am writing this to let off steam. Why do they think they have the right to accost someone who they think are different?
I rant...... enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment