Thursday, January 16, 2020

You See A Person Who You Think Is Trans… What Would Do?

A. Walk up to them and ask them “When did you transition?”
B. Give them the secret signal that you’re trans.
C. Do nothing

I have always joked that we should have a secret signal, something like tug your ear and rub your nose but alas we don’t so just walk away.

But outing someone is an important no-no.
Outing Is A Serious Threat To Trans People, And NikkieTutorials Isn't The First To Experience It
Nikkie de Jager, better known as NikkieTutorials, came out as a transgender woman after being blackmailed over her identity.
BuzzFeed
By Lauren Strapagiel
January 15, 2020

When YouTuber Nikkie de Jager came out as a transgender woman this week, it was on her own terms but not quite on her preferred timeline.

De Jager, better known as NikkieTutorials, came out in a video posted Monday titled "I'm Coming Out." In it, she announced that not only is she trans, but that someone who knew was attempting to blackmail her and threatening to out her.

"I have been blackmailed by people that wanted to leak my story to the press," she said in the video. "At first it was frightening. It was frightening to know that there are people out there that are so evil that they can’t respect someone’s true identity. It is vile and it is gross. And I know that you are watching this."
That is a very scary worry of many trans people, I was outed at work when I accidentally printed out my testimony on the department printer… ops. The technicians who found it couldn’t wait to tell everyone in the company once I left the company. He sent out emails to the “whole” company… all users. But it backfired on him, I got number of emails congratulating me on my transition and when one of my former technicians passed away and I went to his funeral all my techs came up and talked to me except him… I found out that the other techs avoided him after he outed me.

Some people say that not being an “out” trans person is living in another closet.
But not being out is not itself a lie, said Adams.

"Transgender people are absolutely entitled to keep their gender history private," he said. "People who have transitioned are living as their authentic self. They are showing you their authentic self every minute of every day."
It is not up to us to decide if another trans person should be out, it is up to them to make that decision and only them.

And besides they might not be trans.

Someone that I know was at a party with me and she walked up to a woman and asked her if she went to “Doctor O” for her FFS (Facial Feminization Surgery) said she would never have known that she was trans… well she wasn’t trans. She got mad, left the party and broke up with her trans girl friend. The trans girl friend got mad at the other trans woman, what a mess. It would never have happened if she obey the first law of the LGBTQ+ community… never out a person.

At the grocery store where I shop there was a clerk who looked like she was trans… oh how I would have liked to ask her if she was a member of the tribe. But I never asked.
"So, to the people who tried to blackmail me and thought they could really mess up my life with that, this one’s for you," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment