Saturday, September 03, 2016

Saturday 9: It's a Man's Man's Man's World

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: It's a Man's Man's Man's World (1966)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun...

Since Labor Day was introduced to celebrate the American worker, we are highlighting the hardest working man in show business: James Brown. Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) Before he was able to support himself as a musician, James Brown shined shoes, boxed, picked peanuts and delivered groceries. He admitted he didn't enjoy any of those jobs. What was your least favorite job?
Hmm… I would have to say it is the last job I had.

2) What job have you enjoyed the most?
Hmm… I would have to say it is the last job I had.
You see we were bought out by a multinational company and they made life miserable with paperwork but before then I liked my job a lot. However, once the bean counters started in on us they laid off a lot of employees and we all had to do not only our work but also their work and I am not a typist. I use what I call the Christopher Columbus method of typing… discover the key and land on it.

3) James loved performing and in the mid-60s, played 335-350 dates/year. Do you have time off this weekend? Or will you be working? 
Hey, I am retired and I can  work when are where I want.

4) With that grueling schedule, James spent a lot of time on the road. Do you enjoy traveling and staying in hotels? Or are you a homebody who prefers to sleep in your own bed?
I like to travel but it is so great when you get home and can sleep in your own bed again.

5) While Millennials are the largest generation in the workforce, millions of Baby Boomers are still part of American labor. Do you think it's easy or hard for people of different generations to work together? Or don't you think age matters?
It takes work but yes we can work together.
I facilitated a discuss group a couple of weeks ago and the discussion turned rather heated.
It was a “Conversation between the generations.” It was between older LGBT people and the younger generation, the older generation was all about we fought for your rights and you don’t understand what we went through. The younger LGBT said you don’t understand anything about us. Me I was stuck in the middle trying to keep everyone’s tempers under control. Very interesting!

6) 72% of employers report that they give their employees sick days. Tell us about a time when you called in sick, but weren't. 
I didn’t really do that. The company that I worked for had a very liberal vacation/sick days’ policy. Basically if you got your job done they didn’t care if took days off as long as you didn’t abuse it. However, that all changed when the when the multinational took us over.

7) According to the 2010 Census, 5.9 million Americans regularly work from home. Is working from home something you have/you would enjoy? Or do you benefit from interaction with coworkers?
What I miss most now that I am retired is the social aspect of work.

8) 12% of workers report they prefer to report for work early -- before 7:00 AM -- so they can get more done. Are you a morning person?
Ha! I started a 3 AM club on Facebook. Does that answer your question?

9) The NFL season starts on September 8. How do you think your team will do this year?
That presupposes that I am interested in sports.



I have to apologize in advance, once again I am going to be up at the cottage in New Hampshire this weekend so I will not be able to answer your posts.

5 comments:

  1. #5 -- your answer was fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call that Christopher Columbus method of typing "two stepping"..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have an awesome weekend at the cabin!

    I've never had to call in sick when I wasn't sick, either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think corporate buy-outs are awful. I have never seen one yet, at least in media, that didn't end up making the lives of those involved worse.

    ReplyDelete