Thursday, November 05, 2015

I Am Not A Fan, But…

I know that for many people they like drag shows and I realize that just because I don’t like something it doesn’t mean that it is wrong. I don’t like opera but I don’t think it should be banned.

This article was recommended on Facebook when I was reading an article about drag.
Trans Women Are Not Drag Queens
Everyday Feminism
By Maddie McClouskey
April 14, 2014

After fielding the same questions from people in different facets of my life, it dawned on me: Many people do not know the difference between trans women and drag queens!

There seems to be an assumption that all people assigned male at birth who grow up to wear clothing from the women’s section identify the same way.

And that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Even the most well-meaning, modern people can be ignorant of the nuances of gender and performance. Everyone learns about this stuff differently. It’s okay.
And the media sometimes does not go out of its way to make the distinction, we see this all the time. When I talk to groups I sometimes get the impression that they expected me to come in with a big bouffant hairdo, a skimpy dress, and 6 inch spiked stilettos and are surprised that I am wear jeans and sneakers. They are even more surprised when I say that I’m attached romantically to women.

The article ends with,
3. Make the Distinction
If a trans woman comes out to you, don’t immediately gush to her about RuPaul. Don’t look to drag queens to speak for trans women.

As I’ve said way too many times in this piece, they are absolutely not the same at all.

The stories of drag performers and trans women are entirely different from one another and need to be treated as such.
The media is morphing the word transgender from being an umbrella term to mean all those who want to transition and have Gender Confirming Surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment