Saturday, May 05, 2018

Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Standing on the Corner (1956)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I’m back!
Between opening up the new cottage and helping at the conference last Saturday it has been a busy spring.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, four friends congregate on Main Street to look longingly at pretty girls. In your town, where is the best place for people watching?
Probably at the local Dairy Queen. We are a bedroom town people commute to work with a number of strip malls so there is no real “center of town.”

2) This song was written for the Broadway musical, The Most Happy Fella. Who is the happiest person you know?
It is a tossup between two friends both wear a broad smile.

3) The members of The Four Lads met at Toronto's St. Michael's Choir School. Growing up, did you attend parochial or public school?
Yes.
I attended both parochial and public schools. One year at the parochial school and I managed to talk my parents into transferring from there to public high school.

4) The Four Lads always wore jackets and ties when they performed. Do you enjoying dressing up? Or would you rather keep it casual?
I enjoy causal dress.

5) While this song was a hit for The Four Lads, they were completely overshadowed in 1956 by Elvis Presley and "Heartbreak Hotel." Who do you think dominates today's music scene?
I have no idea, I don’t listen to any of the stations that play contemporary music. It is all “oldies but goldies” stations.

6) The Wizard of Oz aired on TV for the first time in 1956. Sam was never crazy about those flying monkeys. Tell us about something that frightened you when you were a kid.
I was never a big fan of horror movies and I definitely not a fan of today’s blood and guts horror movies.

7) What scares you now?
Trump.

8) Since this week's song is about pretty girls: 1956's Miss America was Sharon Ritchie of Colorado. Today Colorado has the distinction of being the home of more microbreweries than any other state in the union. Which are you most particular about -- your beer, your wine, or your coffee?
I don’t think I am partial to any one beverage, I like them all but I would also include water and tea in to that mix.

9) Random question: We all have small, irritating habits, like soup slurping or not replacing the cap on the toothpaste. What's your nasty little habit?
Hmm… that is a hard questions to answer, I think we don’t think we have any irritating habits but I imagine that other people would say that I do.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Sat 9!

    The President truly scares me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sad that it is our government that scares so many of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear all about the new cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what scares me more. The bad tan/hair or the many scandals....

    ReplyDelete