Saturday, July 04, 2020

You're a Grand, Old Flag


On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…


Unfamiliar with James Cagney's 1942 version of this song? Hear it here.

1) The flag we currently fly, with 50 stars and 13 stripes, was designed by a high school student. When Alaska and Hawaii were added, President Eisenhower invited Americans to submit designs for how best to incorporate the two new states. Ike chose 17-year-old Robert G. Heft's submission from more than 1500 entries. Tell us about a contest you entered and won. (Or really hoped to win.)
Ah… I don’t enter contests.
One time I was going to enter a photo contest until I read the fine print… I had to give up all rights to the photo. No thanks.

2) The government also has another of Mr. Heft's designs waiting: one that incorporates a 51st star if another state is added. When you were in school, did you memorize the states and their capitals?
Yes. 

3) Six American flags have been planted on the surface of the moon. Those are undoubtedly the flags farthest from you this morning. Where is an American flag flying near you today?
At the cottage across the street.
I was thinking about getting one for my cottage. We had one at the New Hampshire cottage and it was like a symbol, if the flag was flying we were at the cottage.

4) This version of the song was performed by James Cagney in the 1942 classic, Yankee Doodle Dandy. Have you ever seen it?
Yes and I wasn’t impressed.



5) In that film, Cagney portrayed George M. Cohan, the composer of this week's song. In 1940, Cohan was honored by with a Congressional Gold Medal. In presenting him with the award, President Roosevelt specifically thanked Cohan for "You're a Grand Old Flag," "Yankee Doodle Dandy," and "Over There." What's your favorite patriotic song?
“Over There” it is more specific to World War I, Yankee Doodle was a song that the British harassed and belittle our troops at the battle of Bunker Hill calling us country bumpkins.
I think the classic patriotic song is God Bless America Sung by Kate Smith

6) Though a performer his entire life, Cohan disliked listening to recordings of his own voice. How about you? Do you like your singing and/or speaking voice?
No, I think that I talk in a flat monologue. 

7) James Cagney won the Oscar for Best Actor his performance as George M. Cohan. Also nominated that year was Gary Cooper, who portrayed Lou Gehrig in Pride of the Yankees. Tell us about another movie about a great American.
I think that I would like to see play and/or movie Hamilton.

8) As a teen, Cagney juggled high school with a variety of jobs, including bell hop and delivery boy, and gave all his earnings to his family. Looking back, Cagney was grateful that he had to begin work early, saying, "I feel sorry for the kid who has too cushy a time of it. Suddenly he has to come face-to-face with the realities of life without his mama and papa to do his thinking for him." Do you agree?
Yes.
I was a supervisor and hired people, and you would be surprised at the number of college students who do not have a job history, they never had a job.

9) Cagney had a rebellious streak. His boss, studio head Jack Warner, nicknamed Cagney, "The Professional Againster." Cagney joked that he enjoyed earning the title. What about you? Are you rebellious?
Yes. Especially now a days… there is a lot to protest. Just yesterday we were banned from homeless shelters.

6 comments:

  1. FDR was secretary of the Navy during WWI and loved the song "Over There." "Yankee Doodle Dandy" was written specifically for a Broadway show in 1904. "Yankee Doodle" is a completely different song.

    Hamilton is on Disney+ right now. Hope you get to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the time I graduated college I had probably 3 different jobs for my resume because I worked at home and in my college town. GEEZ! That is crazy kids have no job experience. Loved your answers! Have a great 4th of July!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got Disney+ just to watch Hamilton. I'm going to binge on it. I knew all the music and have seen the documentaries about it, it's nice to see it all together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your last sentence made me so sad. What the heck is going on in this country?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my voice sounds like that, too. I've always hated it.

    ReplyDelete