Sunday, March 18, 2012

Yesterday’s Workshop

I had a good turn-out for my presentation, I had about 20 -25 people attend it. They put me in a 400 seat auditorium and when I walked in to the room, I thought OMG, I hope they don’t expect me to fill it! The screen was huge, about 40’ across and they had a neat computer system to run the room. After my workshop, I had a number of people come up to me and said that the presentation was an eye opener. They said that it was a story that needed to be told. One person who came up to me after the workshop was a trans-man from the US Dept. of Labor, Office of Disability Employment. He gave a workshop on Friday, that I wish I knew about because I would have loved to attend it because the workshop that I wanted to attend was cancelled. His workshop was,
Queering Politics: LGBT Leaders Share Their Stories
Often people think that direct action is the only way to make a difference. Yet, policy makers impact the lives of thousands of people through the decisions they make every day. Join this panel of local, state and federal LGBT Policy makers as they share their experiences and stories as out elected or appointed officials. There will be lots of time for questions and answers and ideas about ways that you might make a difference in the political arena.
After my workshop, I collected the evaluations and I went through them, they all were “Excellent” or “Very Good” except one. That person gave me a “Poor” with the comment “Didn’t have any discussion! Only had a Q & A session after the presentation.”… Um what part of “Presentation” didn’t you understand? If you wanted a discussion, you should have gone to a workshop that said it was a discussion.

Next year, I think I might do a workshop on being an ally.

1 comment: