Thursday, October 23, 2008

Off To Provincetown, MA On Cape Cod

I am heading off to the Fantasia Fair Conference in P’town for the rest of the week. Every year for the past eight years, I have gone of to the conference and this year I am giving a workshop on coalition building…

Building A Grassroots Coalition for Trans-Issues
This workshop will provide methods to organize the Trans-Community to help pass anti-discrimination legislation and to help influence policy decisions for such issues as changing driver license's gender designations and education policies for trans-students. The workshop will cover:

* Forming the Core Group/ Planning Committee – its composition and diversity
* Building a coalition – how to get other organization involved in trans-issues
* Developing a grassroots base – how to reach out to the trans community and get them involved
* Examining various organizational models – programmatic, participatory and empowerment
* Funding – grants, fundraisers and donations & incorporating as a 501(c)(3) or using a fiduciary


Over the years, I have kept a diary about the conference on my old Geocities web-site and it is fun to see how I progressed over the years from my first tentative steps out in public. You can read the awe as I attend the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment