Thursday, March 07, 2013

My Story Part 155 – Humor

Being trans you have to have a sense of humor, if you don’t you will have a lot harder time transitioned.

Some times the expressions on someone face is priceless. I don’t know how many times a man held a door open for me and as I said thank you, you can see it dawn on his face the moment he read you as trans. You can take it two ways, one way is to see the humor in it and the other way is to hate yourself because you got read.

The first time that I had to have my car repaired after an accident I was talking to the owner about scheduling the repair and I also could tell the moment when he read me. Once again the look on his face was priceless, his eyes got bigger his jaw dropped a little bit and he took a step backward. But you know what was important to me? It was the fact that a few minutes later he was back in the normal talking distance.

As many of you know, I attend Fantasia Fair a week long conference in Provincetown MA. One time that I was there I was walking down the street when a tour bus when by me and over the bus loud speaker I heard the travel guide say “This week if Fantasia Fair where all the transsexual and crossdressers came for the conference.” I looked up and saw all these grey haired faced pressed up against the window. Now I could have done two things, one run away in shame or as I did, start laughing because of all of the wide-eyed tourist staring out the window was hilarious.

Again at Fantasia Fair, I was walking down the street one day when this couple was coming out of a store and I heard the husband say to the wife, “There are an awful lot of tall women in town, I wonder if there is a women’s basketball game today?” Now try to keep a straight face and not giggle when you hear something like.

As Bugs Bunny said, “Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive.”

My Story is a weekly series of blog posts about my transition and observation of life as a trans-person.

1 comment:

  1. I would have loved to see that tour bus.... Fantasia Fair was better than I expected it to be - but I don't know if I could handle a full week....

    ReplyDelete