Saturday, December 10, 2016

Saturday 9: Snowbird

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Snowbird (1971)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Elvis wants the snowbird to fly away and take the snow back with her. Have you seen a measurable snowfall yet this season?
No we haven’t but less that twenty miles away here in Connecticut they had over 14 inches of snow while we just had snow flurries… such is the weather here in Connecticut. The farther you get away from the warm waters of Long Island Sound and the higher you get up in the mountains the more snow you get.

2) Drivers in snowy climes are encouraged to keep salt, sand or kitty litter in the trunk because those items can help a car regain traction in the snow. Do you have an emergency kit in your car right now? If so, what's in it?
Well I have a snow shovel and a pail of sand in the trunk along with boots, hat, and gloves.

3) Back in 2007, North Dakota set the world record for the most snow angels made at one time (8,910). Do you enjoy playing in the snow?
Not any more. I used to when I was young, but now I rather stay inside and watch it snow by a warm fire and with a good book.

4) Chionophobia is the fear of snow. Astraphobia is the fear of thunder and lightening. Lilapsophobia is the fear of tornadoes and hurricanes. Do you have to cope with any of these fears?
Nope. They all bring excitement into my life! But I don’t like it when the lightning bolt is followed immediately by the bang, which is a little too close.
And no, I don’t hope for them I just don’t fear them, you have to take proper precautions.
 
5) Elvis' daughter Lisa Marie split her childhood between Memphis and Los Angeles, so she seldom saw snow. When she was a little girl, she was whisked her off to Denver in her father's private plane so the two of them could spend an afternoon playing in the snow. If you could take off and spend the afternoon anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Right now some tropical island by the sea.

6) At home and onstage, Elvis refused to wear jeans and only wore denim if a film role demanded it. This is because when he was young, classmates teased him for "dressing poor" in jeans and coveralls. What did you wear to class when you were in grammar school?
Wow! That was over fifty years ago! The boys all wore dress shits and slacks and the girls all wore dresses.

7) Elvis and President Jimmy Carter are distant relatives (the President is the sixth cousin of the King's great grandfather). Your turn: Tell us about one of your more interesting relatives.
Boy, you really want to get me into trouble with my family!
Actual they are all quite normal except for me.

8) In 1971, when Elvis released his recording of "Snowbird," You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown was a hit on Broadway. Who is your favorite Peanuts character?
I think it has to be Charlie Brown because he got though life facing all those adversities.

9) Random question: You receive a gift certificate from a gourmet food company that can be redeemed for one of these three things: 1 lb. of caviar, 5 lbs. of steak or a 10 lb., live lobster. Which would you choose?
Well believe it or not I wouldn’t take the lobster. The 10 pound lobster is too old and tough, he should be set free to live out his life at the bottom of the sea. Now if it was a 2 or 3 pound lobster my first question would be… “Who got the butter?”

6 comments:

  1. Love your answer to #4. And I agree that Charlie Brown was rather special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how some areas can get hit with weather while 20 miles away all is calm. We miss a lot because the systems often go north or go south of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting info about lobster. I don't like lobster, so I don't know those things! But I know I couldn't kill it myself, even if that were my choice (which it is not)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved lobster before I developed a shellfish allergy. Darn it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't read the lobster correctly, I thought it was 10 pounds of lobster... you're right, that would be an oldie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I said Lobster too. Interesting that a 10 pounder wouldn't be as tasty.

    ReplyDelete