Saturday, May 06, 2017

Saturday 9: The Tide Is High

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: The Tide Is High (1980)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song was originally performed in 1966 by a Jamaican band called The Paragons. Jamaica is the most popular vacation destination in the Caribbean. What's your ideal vacation? (Relaxing on the beach, sightseeing in a new city, skiing the slopes, spending time with family, etc.)
Relaxing next to a lake.

2) In this song, Debbie Harry sings that she's not the kind of girl who gives up easily. How about you? Do you hang on stubbornly? Or do you know when to say "when?"
It depends on what I’m doing and how agitated I get, there are just some jobs that get to you where you feel you have to do it. The latest is Excel, does anyone know how to make the X-axis a date scale? I want  to have a series of dates as the X-axis and the Y-axis the tasks.

3) Blondie is a group that took it's name from the lead singer's most identifiable characteristic, her hair. If your band was named after your hair, what would it be called?
Baldy.

4) Before her career as a singer took off, Debbie supported herself as a waitress. She even served drinks while wearing bunny ears and tail at The Playboy Club. Have you ever worked in food service?
No, unless you count the work scholarship I had in college and I worked washing dishes in the café.

5) Debbie points to David Bowie as a major influence on her music and career. What's your favorite Bowie song?
Major Tom and I like this version the best even through it was sung by David Bowie



6) In 1980, when this song was popular, the best selling issue of Rolling Stone featured Robert Redford on the cover. Who is your all-time favorite actor?
Here we go again with who’s your all-time _______
I have no idea; there are so many great actors and actresses that it is almost impossible to pick one. In one movie or another or in a different film era makes picking one almost impossible.
Henry Fonda in “On Golden Pond”
Humphrey Bogart in “Casablanca”
Sidney Poitier in “To Sir with Love”
Buster Keaton in “The General”
Or any of these actresses, Katharine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn, Sally Field, Meryl Streep, or Lauren Bacall
How can you pick just one?


7) In 1980, Ted Turner revolutionized how we watch TV when he introduced CNN. Do you have any subscriptions services in addition to cable -- like Hulu, Amazon Prime or Netflix?
Yes, I have Amazon Prime and Netflix

8) John Lennon was murdered in 1980. Today there's a specially landscaped section of Central Park called Strawberry Fields in his honor. If you had a day to spend in New York, what would you want to see?
I am not a big fan of big cities, I’m a country type of girl. The last time I was in the city was when I was with my cousins and we went to see the Broadway play “Beautiful: The Carol King Story.” One cousin works in NYC so he knew a good restaurant right off of Broadway just down from the theater.

9) We're going shopping! Which do you need to add to your wardrobe: underwear, shoes or a swimsuit?
Probably all three, I haven’t done my spring shopping yet and I desperately need new sandals and a bathing suit.



I'm off to the Northampton MA for their Pride Festival there.

6 comments:

  1. I HATE EXCEL! It's my natural enemy! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excel is my nemesis! I just can't get the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally want to see that play too! Kwiz got to see it a while back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried this place, Diana?

    https://superuser.com/questions/81398/map-one-column-to-x-axis-second-to-y-axis-in-excel-chart

    Exel is a poot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We picked the same song for favorite Bowie. And yes, it's bloody impossible to pick a favorite actor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only know of one person who excels at Excel. I hate that program. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete