Thursday, July 19, 2018

Well I Don’t Agree With This

We are a diverse community, we span the globe, we have different problems, different needs, and different wants, what we share in common is that thing called Gender Dysphoria. So when it comes to definitions and words that hurt we are all over the place; when I do training I say these are the common definitions at least for today.
What's The Difference Between A Crossdresser, Drag Queen, And Being Transgender?
Your Tango
By Rebecca Jane Stokes
July 17, 2018

One of the subjects that comes up frequently in my conversations with my parents is one I also see playing out on the internet daily: language and how we use it when we are talking about identity, persona, and performance in the LGBTQ community. The most common thing I find myself clearing up lately is the difference between being a drag queen, performing in drag, crossdressing, and being transgender.
Okay this is one definition that I say “Whoa” to not so fast…
1. Crossdressing
Being a crossdresser is when a man or a woman (though typically a man) derives sexual enjoyment from dressing in women's clothing. You know how a scented candle and the dank tones of John Tesh can put some people in the mood? For others, it's donning clothing traditionally worn by members of the opposite sex.

It's typically viewed as a kink and can sometimes have a comorbidity with fetishes like foot fetishes or stocking fetishes.

Some people who are crossdressers are also known as transvestites. Don't get it twisted: just because there is a "trans" in front of the word, that doesn't mean that a man who dressed up as a woman for his own sexual pleasure identifies himself as being a woman.
I totally disagree with this!

I know many who crossdress and they do not do it for “sexual enjoyment from dressing in women's clothing” I think she is totally wrong on this and I think it biases the rest of the article. Also everyone I know thinks that the word transvestites is pejorative and do not like the word.
2. Drag queen
A drag queen or a drag king is a person (male or female) who adopts a costume and a persona and performs on stage as a singer, a comedian, or other character. There is a long and storied tradition of drag, and if you want a taste of it, go watch Paris is Burning immediately.
[…]
For a drag performer, drag can be an escape, a performance, a form of self-expression, or it could make them feel more like their true self.
I think she is close on this definition.
3. Transgender
A person who is trans was born into the wrong body. While they might have been born biologically male or biologically female, they are simply not the gender that was assigned to their body at birth. A trans person can undergo surgery to correct their body to match how they feel internally, but they don't have to.
[…]
A trans person can choose to dress in clothing that they feel is appropriate to their gender. This isn't cross-dressing, and they are not transvestites: they are trans people wearing clothes. That's it.
I think she also got this very wrong, most of the people I know who are trans use Transgender to denote anyone who crosses the gender norms and use the word as an umbrella term. And there is that word again… transvestites!
The Controversy Within The LGBTQ Community
Can a drag queen be a trans person? Sure, if they happen to be a trans person. I'm a straight woman, but if I were to decided to go to a drag show as a man, it's still just drag. Same goes for anyone else. Drag is performance, it isn't identity.
[…]
RuPaul's show has attracted controversy for its use of the words "tranny" and "she-male" on their show. These words are often used by drag performers to mock or deride another perform's look. Lately members of the trans community have asked that these more hateful terms be removed from the vernacular. Some people in the drag community agree, while others who feel that drag is about subversion and shock see nothing wrong with using those words.
I do not like RuPaul not because he does drag but because what he has said in the past about trans people (and I use the word in its broadest sense). He has said that he uses the words "tranny" and "she-male" to take them back, but I am sorry, I don’t buy that.

He is just one person under the umbrella and the others under umbrella just don’t agree. Those words are used by others to subjugate us and I also believe he uses those words because there is money in those words for him; people tune in his show to watch the drama and those words are part of the “act.” He is not using them to “buy back the words for the community” but instead to make money off of them. In other words to prostitute them.

As I said at the beginning of this post we are diverse community and we must respect all those who cross the gender norms including drag queens and kings but likewise they have to respect and understand the rest of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment