Saturday, July 14, 2018

Saturday 9: I Love Lucy

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: I Love Lucy (1951)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) Before today, did you know that the "I Love Lucy" theme had lyrics?
No I didn’t know.

2) Since its premiere in 1951, I Love Lucy has never been off the air. Are you a fan?
Yes, the whole family used to gather around the black & white television to watch the show.

3) On the show, Ricky Riccardo supports his family by performing in a nightclub. Do you know anyone in show business?
Yes…
One has won seven Emmys for producing TV shows (She has covered the White House, was with 60 minutes when they went to Cuba, and has covered the national political conventions).
Another was a producer for Good Morning America and produced other nation news programs as well as doing the news.
One is an actress who was in “And Then There Was Eve”
If authors count… I know an author who was number one on Oprah's Book Club list and was on her show and is a columnist at the New York Times.
I also know another writer who is the wife of the actress in “And Then There Was Eve”

And then there is me, I have been on two Sunday morning talk shows and interviewed a dozen times.



4) Lucy and Ricky's best friends are Fred and Ethel, their landlord and his wife. Are you friendly with your neighbors?
Not really, everyone in the neighborhood has their lawns mowed and their driveways done in winter and like me live outdoors on the back porch.

5) One of the most popular episodes has Lucy and Ethel working on the conveyor belt at a chocolate factory. When did you last have chocolate?
Shh… about an hour ago.

6) Another famous episode has Lucy promoting Vitametavegimin. This tonic is made with vitamins, meat, vegetables -- and 23% alcohol. Do you read the ingredients statement before you take an over-the-counter medication? Or do you trust that it's safe because it's on the store shelf?
No but I read the nutrition label especially the carbs.

7) I Love Lucy was filmed before a live audience. Desi Arnaz (Ricky) always maintained he could identify the chuckle of his mother-in-law, who attended every taping. Do you know anyone who has a distinctive laugh?
Oh yes. This radio show host who sounds just like he was born to be on the radio and his laugh sounds just the same.

8) The show ended when the Lucille Ball/Desi Arnaz marriage ended. Have you ever had to choose sides when a couple broke up?
Yes and it is very hard because I liked both of them.

9) Random question -- You must eat the same dinner, every day, between now and Labor Day. An identical menu, no deviation. What will you be having?
Hmm... I would say lobster Newburg but it is very rich and I would probably end up with gout. Can we very the way it is prepared? Then it definitely be lobster… lobster Newberg, boiled Lobster, lobster roll, lobster eggs Benedict, lobster mac & cheese, etc., etc.

~

Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!



I will be away for the weekend so I will try to approve as many comments that I can before I leave on an overnight party in Vermont.

7 comments:

  1. You really know a lot of show biz people!
    I like your dinner choice. If we can choose that way, I'd choose shrimp. When it comes to shrimp, you can just call me Bubba Gump. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all trans or married to a trans person

      Delete
  2. I desperately love lobster mac and cheese. Both in taste and in theory. I mean, you take something everyday (m/c) and dress it up like Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next weekend I will be on the coast of Maine, enjoying fresh-off-the-boat lobster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me remember something:
    There are a few guys that were on local radio that I knew personally, one come to our house with his wife. I can still remember his voice and the voices of three of the others. People's voices are like bird song. yep. Tweet Tweet. Some of the bigger birds have really obnoxious songs.

    Oh, you go ahead and enjoy all that lobster. I used to love it, for about three years until it made me allergic. iodine I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You remind me of Bubba Gump with that lobster thing. Only yours is with lobster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Authors! Duh. I know lots of authors. I didn't even think to include them.

    ReplyDelete