Wednesday, July 04, 2018

Happy Fourth of July!


I hope you are all enjoying the 4th of July.

I’m up at the cottage today with some friends and we are having a classic Fourth of July cookout, off in the distance I can hear fireworks going off and tonight I think we are going to watch the Provincetown fireworks tonight either from one of the town beaches or go up to P’town and watch them there.

When I was little (in elementary school) I use to go down to a friend’s house and camp out in his yard so we could shot off fireworks from morning to night. We use to wait until his parents got up and then we could start shooting off the fireworks. Just after sunrise one fourth when we were in our late teens we set off a military purple smoke bomb to the music of Jim Hendrix “Purple Haze” as the smoke drifted out over the pond next to his house and formed a low cloud over the pond. We had waited all year to do that, it was so neat.

When he got older he became a professional pyrotechnican and does private shows. Once I helped him set up a show and we got to lie down next to where he was running the show, we had ringside seats. Big 6 inch mortars were going off just feet away with a chest pressing THUMP.

Now when we go to a 4th of July party at their house, it is his grandchildren that are setting up the fireworks and we get to sit back and watch the show.

A few years back I went to party for the first time as Diana, it felt a little bit strange being with friends that I had known all my life as Diana but everyone was okay with me. He still has the parties but it is not every year now and there wasn’t one this year so I decided to invite some friends up to the cottage.

Be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment