Monday, June 18, 2018

I Love You

It times of hate it is a welcome oasis to hear love for us; especially to hear it from a sports celebrity.
Pistons’ Reggie Bullock to transgender community: ‘I see y’all as people that I love’
Chicago Tribune
By Malika Andrews
June 17, 2018

The NYC Pride March is still a week away, but Reggie Bullock already is nervous. He has yet to decide on an outfit; he will get to that. He knows he is bringing his 5-year-old son with him to ride atop the NBA’s annual float.

Will Reggie Jr. ask questions? Probably. It is the first time the boy will be around the glitter, rainbows and flamboyant outfits that are a staple of LGBTQ pride parades.

Bullock explained his nerves on a phone call from his Detroit home. He was there for a couple of days before he goes to North Carolina to see his family and then flies to New York for the parade. Bullock, a 27-year-old small forward for the Pistons, is set to become the first active NBA player to ride on the Pride float.

“I want to stand up for the people who have lost people within that community over tragic murders,” Bullock said. “I just want to let them know that as a straight person, I am not within that community, but I see y’all as people and I see y’all as people that I love.”
For him this hit close to home he had a trans sister who was murdered.
Bullock admits that if Henderson hadn’t died, he probably wouldn’t be championing this cause. He still is working to find the right words to explain his sister’s death to his son, who was just 1 ne [sic] and a half years old when Henderson died.
It is sad that it takes violence to come out and try to understand us in death rather than in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment