Saturday, June 30, 2018

SATURDAY 9: BACK IN THE USA

Crazy Sam’s SATURDAY 9: BACK IN THE USA (1978)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) This song lists seven cities -- New York, Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Chattanooga, Baton Rouge and St. Louis -- that Linda just loves. How many have you visited?
New York, ✓
Los Angeles,
Detroit, ✓
Chicago, ✓
Chattanooga, ✓
Baton Rouge,
St. Louis, ✓

2) The lyrics refer to hamburgers sizzling on the grill. What toppings do you believe make a perfect burger?
Cheese of course, lettuce, tomato, and onions with mayo and a touch of ketchup on a hard roll not a hamburger roll.

3) The original recording of this song by Chuck Berry has always been one of Linda Ronstadt's favorites, one she used to enjoy singing along with in the car. What's the most recent song you sang?
Desperado
I also have her Stone Pony album.

4) Linda sang The National Anthem at Game 3 of the 1977 World Series. The New York Yankees won both that game and the series. How is your baseball team doing this season?
Well that assumes that I have a favorite sports team. My brother’s family roots for the Red Sox.

Since this is our last Saturday 9 before Independence Day, let's ask some questions about the holiday.

5) During the Revolutionary War, General Washington celebrated the 4th of July by giving his troops a double ration of rum. Will you imbibe any spirits on Independence Day?
Lemonade
And I might have a sip or two of a Strawberry Daiquiri since it is strawberry season and it is a nice red drink for the Fourth… Hmm, I wonder if there is a blueberry daiquiri?

6) The first man to sign the Declaration of Independence, John Hancock, said he wrote his name so large King George could see it, even without his glasses. Do you require glasses for reading?
Well funny you should ask.
I just had cataract surgery in my left eye and I can read with that one and my right eye I need to hold the book about 6 inches away.

7) Since July 4 is a federal holiday, banks are closed and there's no mail delivery. Thanks to email and ATMs, Sam finds going without those services isn't a hardship. What about you? Will you find it inconvenient that banks and the USPS are closed on July 4?
Nope.
Hey banking is also online, I can deposit a check by taking a picture of it .

8) The first 4th of July parade each year is held at 12:01 AM in Gatlinberg, TN. Will you attend a parade or fireworks to celebrate the 4th?
I plan on watching the Provincetown fireworks from the beach in Wellfleet with friends up from Connecticut.

9) More and more Americans celebrate our nation's holiday by eating foods from Italy and Germany. For the July 4, 2016 holiday, more than $50 million was spent on Italian sausage and bratwurst. What's on your 4th of July menu?
Well I think it will be a typical 4th… Hamburger, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, and corn-on-the-cob.

4 comments:

  1. With Venmo, Google Cash, Square Cash, etc., you don't even need a check anymore to photograph. As much as I enjoy the convenience, I worry about this cashless society. We're all so vulnerable to hacks now.

    So far, you have our best 4th of July menu. Everyone should head on over to Diana's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a cheese person too. I say go for that blueberry drink idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Stone Pony, too. Yay! And Desperado is Gorgeous. It's a fabulous song.

    I can't wait to get cataract surgery. I think, "Come on, I am almost 76!" I've got trouble with eyes tiring out after a half hour of reading or knitting. Duh!

    Oh yum, I forgot about corn of the cob. I think it's time to get some for the tortoises. They love the stuff!

    Happy Fourth to you and yours, Diana!


    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever my Birthday comes around Timmy asks me, "What would you like for your Birthday Dinner?" I always say, a cheeseburger on a nice soft poppy seed role. I think I may go to Popeye's on July 4th and then home as its summer in the city and its getting gritty. HOT DOG!!

    ReplyDelete