Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Our Favorite Punching Bag

I like to say you never know where the trans lightning is going to strike, we have no control over who is trans. It strikes those who can integrate in to society and those who cannot blend in to society, it strike poor people and it strikes rich people. It strike progressives and it also strikes conservative people. However what we all have in common is that we are all trans.
Protesters at Caitlyn Jenner talk say transgender community was ignored in the organization of the event
Daily Emerald
By Ryan Nguyen
May 29, 2018

A group of about 20 University of Oregon students and Eugene community members showed up today to protest the appearance of celebrity Caitlyn Jenner and publicist Alan Nierob for a talk in Straub Hall about public relations.

Some students said the university did not consult UO’s transgender community — some examples of which include the LGBTQA3 Alliance and the LGBT Education and Support Services department — about inviting Jenner to campus.

UO Ph.D. student Bethany Grace Howe, a transgender woman, is the one who invited Jenner and Nierob to come to campus and has been in contact with the pair ever since she heard Nierob speak during a class years ago.

“So when I talk about Jenner,” wrote Howe in a UO School of Journalism and Communication blog post, “and when I host her on Tuesday, it is not a celebrity I see, but a friend I’m finally getting to show around my home.” Howe has been talking to Jenner since 2016.

Andrew Robbins, one of the organizers of the protest, said that although transgender people are becoming more visible and that the idea of gender diversity is becoming normalized, Jenner should not be the only representative of transgender people in the media.
Caitlyn seems to be a lightning rod for us. I know a number of conservative trans people, I don’t understand why they back politicians who want to oppress us but I don’t vilify them.

Her story is like so many of us, we hid our gender dysphoria until the pressure of hiding became unbearable and we transitioned late in life.

For me I saw oppression and I wanted to fight it.

For Caitlyn I don’t really know what the driving force behind her conservative views but she chose to ignore the attempts and the passing of laws that oppressed us like those in North Carolina. I hope it wasn’t because she put her money before human rights.

No comments:

Post a Comment