Friday, May 04, 2018

I Didn’t Know He Was Trans, So I Killed Him*

In many murder cases the defendant use the face that we are trans or lesbian or gay against us and since we are dead we can’t speak up against the defendant. This type of defense is called “Gay Panic” or “Trans Panic” defense.
Texas man gets probation after using ‘gay panic’ defense to explain killing his neighbor
LGBT Nation
By Bil Browning
Friday, April 27, 2018

James Miller of Austin, Texas was found not guilty of manslaughter and murder by a jury after killing his neighbor, Daniel Spencer. After Miller used the “gay panic” defense, claiming Spencer made a pass at him, the jury found him guilty of criminally negligent homicide and sentenced him to 10 years of probation.

While a handful of states have outlawed the defense tactic and the American Bar Association has called on states to ban it, in Texas it is still legal to get away with murder by saying a gay man’s advances can justify killing him.

The judge was required under state law to honor the jury’s recommendation but also added on six months of jail time, 100 hours of community service, and restitution of $11,000 to the victim’s family. Miller will also have use a portable alcohol monitoring device for at least a year.
[…]
The jury apparently didn’t care about the hole in her heart as much as they did the idea of a gay man supposedly making a pass at a straight man. To them, that’s deserving of death.
They also use the same defense against us… “I had sex with him and I found out afterward that he* was a trannie*!”

I make this promise; I will do everything that I can to pass a law banning gay/trans panic defenses here in Connecticut. I also promise that I will do everything that I can to add religion, and race to the law. Because murders have also used… “I found out that she was Jewish, so I killed her.” I found out that she was black and I killed her!”

* I used this language because that is how the defense talks about us, they misgender us and use derogatory language.

No comments:

Post a Comment