Monday, April 02, 2018

It Is Getting Easier, But…

It still depends upon where you live, trans teachers are coming out at school and how there are received all depends upon your community.
Transgender Teachers: In Their Own Voices
NPR Ed
By LA Johnson
March 18, 2018

NPR Ed has been reporting this month on the lives of transgender educators around the country. We surveyed 79 educators from the U.S. and Canada, and they had a lot to say – about their teaching, their identities and their roles in the lives of young people. We reported the survey findings here, and followed with this story about how educators are coming together to organize and to share their experiences in the classroom, and in their lives.

We asked our survey respondents to send in a selfie and tell us what they wish others knew about them as a trans- or gender nonconforming (T/GNC) educator. Here are some of their responses.
[…]
Mario Suarez, education Ph.D. student at Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas
"At the end of the day, we care. We care about your children, we care about the education system, we care about the future of our society, and that is why we chose to go into this profession."

Bailey Coffman, reading instructional coach, Albuquerque, N.M.
"Life is full of transitions. Some just are, or look different than, others.
[…]
Jack Kaulfus, English teacher, Austin, Texas
"My gender is a non-issue in class, but my presence as an out, non-binary teacher is grounds for firing in Texas schools. My workplace is supportive and progressive, but I am one of the lucky ones who found a place where I can safely be myself [at a private school.] Most trans- and gender nonconforming teachers are not so lucky, and either live in fear of being outed or come out at the risk of losing their livelihoods.

"Passing in public as a heterosexual male has been a real challenge for me as a non-binary person, and I'm now just about as uncomfortable with every 'bro' that comes my way as I used to be with every 'ma'am'. Post-HRT [Hormone Replacement Therapy], it's important to me to stay out and active in my queer community so that I don't feel lost and invisible on the other side of the spectrum."
I think a lot has to do with how well you integrate into society in how you are treated at work and most of those interviewed were trans men and the trans women were able to integrate pretty good, so I have to wonder how a trans women who is 6’6” would be treated in the school systems.

I know a trans woman who was barred from teaching anywhere when she transitioned back in the late nineties, I wonder how much has changed?

No comments:

Post a Comment