Saturday, March 31, 2018

Saturday 9: Easter Parade

Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Easter Parade ("In Your Easter Bonnet") (1948)



On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…
I’m sorry I didn’t post any comments last week; but after the “March for Our Lives” rally I was beat and by the time I got home I didn’t do much of anything.  On Sunday I was visiting a friend.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) This song is about a special Easter hat to be worn with your "Sunday best." Will you be getting dressed up this weekend?
No, I don’t that many people dress up for Easter any more. I am just going to wear a skirt and a white blouse.

2) Judy Garland's partner in this movie was supposed to be Gene Kelly, but he was unavailable because he broke his ankle playing volleyball. Have you ever lost a big opportunity because of a medical issue?
Yes. I was supposed to lead a march for a rally when I had a biopsy on my big toe. My dermatologist didn’t like the look of a black spot under my toe nail of my big toe, so he drilled a hole through my toe nail… so much fun!

3) Garland later confessed that, at first, she would have preferred Kelly because she knew him well and was intimidated by Fred Astaire. By the end of filming, she found she enjoyed Astaire a great deal. Can you think of a friend with whom you had a rocky relationship at the beginning?
Yes.

4) This song was inspired by New York City's Easter Parade. Does your community host a similar event?
No, I don’t even know of any town in Connecticut that has one.

5) The biggest chocolate Easter egg was made in Italy, measured 34 feet tall and weighed a staggering 15,000 lbs. Do you thinks it's possible to have too much chocolate?
Most definitely, especially now that I’m diabetic .


6) Jelly beans are also popular this time of year. A 2013 poll tells us that red is by far the favorite jelly bean color, with yellow a distant second. Do you have a preference?
I haven’t had a jelly bean since Reagan was president.

7) We've been talking a lot about sweets this morning. The only holiday that generates more candy sales is Halloween. When do you eat more candy: Easter or Halloween?
Neither.

8) Easter is considered the season of rebirth. What makes you feel refreshed or rejuvenated?
A good night sleep which is becoming rarer and rarer was I get older. And now is nap time, I've been up since 4 AM

9)  This year, April Fool's Day happens to coincide with Easter Sunday. Do you expect to fall victim to any pranks this weekend?
No, but I saw a great idea for an April joke. You know those little chocolate eggs that are wrapped in foil? Well someone took the chocolate egg out of the foil and used the foil to wrap grapes.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, thank you for marching.

    Second, I've seen that foil trick, too. I like green grapes so much, I might be fooled but I wouldn't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha- Loved the Reagan thing. Didn't someone accidentally spill his out once?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Reagan the reason you stopped eating jelly beans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I wasn't a big fan of jelly beans, way too much sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm up at 4 and ready for a nap about now most days. I try and try to go back to sleep but it doesn't happen. Naps are a grand luxury. Enjoy!
    Reagan is the first person that I remember who ate jelly bellies. Kept them on his desk. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of that trick with the grapes until this meme, but I love it. Mostly because I would get to eat the chocolate inside the foils to get the foil to wrap the grapes . . .

    ReplyDelete