Thursday, February 01, 2018

I Swear

Hippocratic Oath:
  • I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
  • I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
I am one of the lucky ones who have not been discriminated against but I know of a number of trans people who have been refused treatment and I know one Connecticut trans woman who was taken to an emergency room and denied treatment.
Doctors Refuse to Treat Trans Patients More Often Than You Think
New federal regulations are intended to help doctors refuse service based on religious or moral grounds. For trans patients, they may make a bad situation much worse.
Vice
By Keren Landman
January 29 2018

On January 18, the US Department of Health and Human Services proposed new regulations and announced the creation of a “Conscience and Religious Freedom Division,” both focused on supporting healthcare providers who refuse to perform certain healthcare services on religious or moral grounds.

"Not more of this shit," thought Marian, the mother of a transmasculine teen named Julian who lives in rural Georgia. (Marian chose to withhold her and Julian’s full names due to safety concerns.)
[…]
In 2016, Marian said a nurse practitioner in a local supermarket's walk-in health care clinic had repeatedly and intentionally misgendered Julian while administering his testosterone injection, asking, "What kind of a doctor would prescribe this to a girl?" As far as Marian could see, the provider’s disgust was evident—and a week later, the provider called to inform her there would be no staff available to perform the procedure in the clinic for Julian's next injection, suggesting they instead try a different clinic in a nearby town.
Is this what we are going to face from now on because of the Republican bigotry and hatred of us? Will this be the new norm.
While the nurse practitioner’s reasons for refusing Julian care were ambiguous, her actions were legal; according to Georgia state law, a pharmacist may “refuse to fill any prescription based on professional judgment or ethical or moral beliefs.”
And the Republicans are to make this happen all across the country, but the HHS policy not only affects us but also Jews, Muslims, blacks, interracial couples, unmarried couples and anyone else they want to discriminate against.

As the names, this is an oath and they swear to up hold the oath, the basis of the oath is “do no harm” so I have to wonder how those xo called christians can justify breaking a sworn oath. I wonder how a medical provider who probably became a doctor because they want to help people can in their own mind justify turning someone away that might mean a death sentence for a person.

Watch the documentary about Robert Eads...



No comments:

Post a Comment