Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Could This Help Us?

There is a lot of research out there on us, I think we are becoming the new “in” research studies. I think many researchers are now studying gender dysphoria causes and outcomes.
This Test Could Change How You Transition
Trans people need to be evaluated for BRCA genes. Here’s why. 
The Advocate
By Jacob Anderson-Minshall
January 5, 2018

A study unveiled at the 36th Annual National Society of Genetic Counselors suggests transgender individuals should be aware of their family history of breast cancer and consider getting tested for the BRCA gene mutations before they make decisions about medical interventions.

Having an elevated risk of breast or ovarian cancer could impact when trans men and women choose to start hormone treatments as well as which gender-confirming surgeries to undergo.

The lead author of several case studies, Rosalba Sacca, a genetic counselor from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, argued in a written statement, “Some healthcare providers are afraid to ask relevant medical questions of their transgender patients because they fear it may be offensive. But awareness and testing are important because they may impact their decisions.”

Mutations in the BRCA1 or BRCA2 genes have been shown to increase cisgender women’s risk for breast cancer and ovarian cancer, and so doctors recommend that cis women with a strong family history of breast or ovarian cancer undergo genetic testing to see if they have the mutation. Unfortunately, those providing trans people with health care frequently avoid such conversations.
So have you had a mammogram?

Since I am over 60 I have it done every year, and because my gender is “F”, I do not pay anything and if you have a “M” on your ID you probably still get it covered by your insurance.

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget that an "F" on your ID does not save you from the risks of prostate cancer. I once had to endure a long bout with a urinary tract infection because my doctor neglected to check my prostate. He was trying so hard not to offend me that I believe he was avoiding the embarrassment (to both of us?).

    ReplyDelete