Saturday, November 18, 2017

Saturday 9: Son of a Preacher Man



Crazy Sam’s Saturday 9: Son of a Preacher Man (1968)

On Saturdays I take a break from the heavy stuff and have some fun…

I have found the problem with my posts not being posted, you have to allow third party cookies... Isn't that something, you have to allow your comments to be tracked by advertisers.

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This song was originally offered to Aretha Franklin, who turned it down. What's the most recent thing that you said "no" to?
I can’t remember but I do remember saying yes. I interact with a non-profit through my work and the caller ID came up that non-profit… “Oh it must be something about the meeting on Monday.” So I answered the call, when I said hello the woman said “Diana? Oh I didn’t know it was you!” Well it turned out they were doing a fundraiser and she asked if I would like to donate to their homeless shelter. I couldn’t very well say no to her so I gave the minimum amount. Normally if I didn’t know the caller ID or if they didn’t leave a message I would ignore the call.

2) Two years later, Aretha recorded "Son of a Preacher Man." What's something you changed your mind about?
Hmm… tattoos. I don’t want any but I couldn’t see why anyone would get one, but I changed my mind. If they want one that doesn’t bother me any more.

3) This song tells the tale of Billy Ray, a young man who could be very persuasive. If we wanted to change your mind about something, would you be more easily swayed by an emotional argument, or with verifiable facts?
Well it depends upon the topic and why I believed what I do. The tattoo thing was emotional.

4) If you ordered a "Son of a Preacher Man" in a bar, you'd get a cocktail made with peppermint schnapps, gin and lemonade. When did you last have lemonade? Was it just lemonade, or was it spiked with alcohol?
I haven’t had lemonade since I was diagnosed with diabetes

5) Dusty had a thing for maps. She admired them artistically and enjoyed using them to take long car trips. Do you use printed maps? Or do you rely on technology, like GPS or Google Maps?
I have GPS built-in to my car, but I also have maps in my car. What I don’t like about GPS and Google Maps is when you zoom-out you lose detail and when you zoom-in you only see the local roads  but you only see a small area.

6) As a girl, she attended convent school. There, one of the nuns discouraged Dusty from performing, telling her that if she would do better to be a mother or a librarian. When you were growing up, did the adults in your world encourage your dreams?
Nope, I was “gathering wool.”
 
7) That nun inspired Dusty's first major act of rebellion. In an attempt to make herself look less like a future librarian or housewife, she bleached her hair platinum blonde. In school, were you much of a rebel? Or did you conform to the expectations adults had of you?
Well that is something that I wondered. My parents died before I started my MSW graduate program and i always wondered what they would think about what i'm doing now.

8) Early in her career, Dusty provided the entertainment at a family summer camp. She appeared on the bill with a clown, a fire-eater and a hypnotist. Have you ever been hypnotized?
Yes, I was hypnotized to lose weight… I had a good nap.

9) Random question: Have you ever played matchmaker to your friends? If yes, did your efforts lead to romance?
Nope and they never played matchmaker for me.

4 comments:

  1. I like the look of maps but I am not good at navigating with them. I like the voice of the GPS guiding me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take it the hypnosis didn't help? I have thought about trying it for that purpose. I had it used by therapists for anxiety and depression issues. I really don't know that it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got so tired of ignoring those calls that I just took my phone off the hook. I only keep it because it is part of the bundle and it is an easy phone number to give out when they ask for one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I have found the problem with my posts not being posted, you have to allow third party cookies... Isn't that something, you have to allow your comments to be tracked by advertisers." WTH? Well, I'm getting sick of a lot of webby things.
    Lol about hypnotism. You had a good nap.
    Gathering wool? Well, Poo on them!

    ReplyDelete