Thursday, November 16, 2017

Outreach Last Tuesday

One of the questions that I was asked at an outreach at a university here in Connecticut was about male privilege; well I just found an article on the topic.
“Cultural sexism in the world is very real when you’ve lived on both sides of the coin”
Time
By Charlotte  Alter

Three guys are sitting at a Harlem bartop eating fries, drinking whiskey and talking about love. One of them, Bryce Richardson, is about to propose to his girlfriend.

“I’m putting it together in my head, I’m like: ‘He’s gonna be one of my groomsmen, he’s gonna be one of my groomsmen,’” he points to his two friends and grins. The other men light up when they hear the news and start talking about rings, how much they cost, will it be princess cut or pear shaped? Pictures are Googled, phones are passed around. “That was one of my dreams, to get married, to be somebody’s husband, to be somebody’s father,” says one of the friends, Redd Barrett. “From when I was like 12, I used to think about that all the time.”

I ask the groom-to-be how he knew his girlfriend was the one. They met at work, he says, and by the time he came out to her, they were already in love. “I said ‘I’m trans, and you’re not gonna want me anyway,” he recalls, unable to keep the smile off his face. “And she said ‘I’m in love with you, I don’t care about that.’” His friend Tiq nods and says, “That’s your wife, right there.”

All three men are trans. But if they hadn’t said so, you wouldn’t have known.
[…]
Yet experiences of trans men can provide a unique window into how gender functions in American society. In the last few months, I’ve interviewed nearly two dozen trans men and activists about work, relationships and family. Over and over again, men who were raised and socialized as female described all the ways they were treated differently as soon as the world perceived them as male. They gained professional respect, but lost intimacy. They exuded authority, but caused fear. From courtrooms to playgrounds to prisons to train stations, at work and at home, with friends and alone, trans men reiterated how fundamentally different it is to experience the world as a man.

“Cultural sexism in the world is very real when you’ve lived on both sides of the coin,” says Tiq Milan, a friend of the future groom.
Most definitely, it becomes so obvious when you start living in your true gender; a trans man friend said it was like getting a brain, all of a sudden people listen to what you say. I could tell them that “their muffle bearing is going and you should get your car checked” and people believe me.

While a trans woman that I know who has a BSEE and a MBA and is a project manager noticed the difference. Before she transitioned what “he” said everyone nodded their heads and agreed with him. Now when she says something nobody does pays attention until a man says the same thing. She said that she has even been asked to get the coffee.

If you ever want to see male privilege just transistion.

No comments:

Post a Comment