Friday, October 20, 2017

Day 4 At The “Fair”

Well yesterday started off with the workshop “Take-aways from Last Weekend’s Fenway Conference on Transgender Health” which was a very good workshop and it wasn’t so much about the Fenway Health conference but rather trans health in general. But one of the topics at the Fenway conference was “Detransitioning and Retransitioning: What We Need To Know” which is a very touchy topic in our community but as the doctor pointed out the numbers of “regrets” are not that bad, less than ten percent which is a lot lower that other medical procedures, she said Gallbladder surgery regrets is around 30%. Also many of trans people who detransitions do so not because they are not trans but rather because of family pressures, or employment problems, or religious pressures, or other socioeconomic reasons and only a very few were because they are not trans.

The weather has been beautiful, you couldn’t ask for better weather so for the second day I sat out on the deck overlooking the bay at Tin Pan Alley for lunch.

After lunch I went to the Keynote Address by Mara Keisling and if you know Mara you know her humor; Q: What government agency doesn’t have a department for their equal employment opportunities oversight? A: The Department of Agriculture, the have the department of EIEIO.

Okay, what she did talk about was that they (the National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE)) now have a PAC, a 501 (c) 4.

Then later in the afternoon they had a reception to formally introduce their “Action Fund.

I went out to supper with a friend at the Lobster Pot; we wanted to go up to the “Top of the Pot” but the bar was full so we ate in the downstairs’ restaurant. I had one of my favorite food there Lobster Newburg and I also had my current favorite drink a “Pomegranate Vodka Martini.” I was planning on going to see the movie "A Self-Made Man" but the martini and all the carbs from the lobster Newburg hit me and I didn’t think that make it through the movie and also I had seen it before so I called it a night.

This morning I give my workshop "Effective Lobbying."





No comments:

Post a Comment